Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Data Race Condition while using AddElementMatrixSymmetric

More
5 years 3 months ago #1363 by jhauser
I am still working on the implementation of the assembling in tensor product spaces. For that I need the local mass matrix of HCurl-functions. My resulting matrix seems mostly right, but there are a few entries that are wrong. It changes each time which entries are influenced. The error only occurs when I use a python script with python3. If I use the interface of jupyter notebook, my matrix is correct.
The local matices seem to be correct therefore I guess that it is a problem with AddElementMatrixSymmetric or rather a data race condition in IterateElements.
How can I slove it?

The code with this problem is as follows:
Code:
template<int Dy> void CalcElementMatrix_tpy(const FiniteElement & fely, const ElementTransformation &eltrans_y, LocalHeap & lhy, FlatMatrix<double> elmaty) { const HCurlFiniteElement<Dy> & fely_cast = dynamic_cast<const HCurlFiniteElement<Dy>&>(fely); ELEMENT_TYPE eltypey = fely_cast.ElementType(); int ndy = fely_cast.GetNDof(); const IntegrationRule & ir_voly = SelectIntegrationRule (eltypey, 2*fely_cast.Order()); MatrixFixWidth<Dy,double> shapey(ndy); elmaty = 0.0; for (int l = 0; l < ir_voly.Size(); l++) { HeapReset hr(lhy); const MappedIntegrationPoint<Dy,Dy> sip(ir_voly[l], eltrans_y); BaseMappedIntegrationPoint & mip = eltrans_y(ir_voly[l], lhy); fely_cast.CalcMappedShape (mip, shapey); elmaty += ir_voly[l].Weight() *sip.GetMeasure()* shapey * Trans (shapey); } } ... shared_ptr<GridFunction> MyMaxwellAssemble(shared_ptr<FESpace> fes_in, shared_ptr<CoefficientFunction> f_coef) { ...... IterateElements(*fes_y, VOL, lhy, [&] (FESpace::Element ely, LocalHeap &lhy) { const ElementTransformation& eltrans_y = ma_y->GetTrafo(ely, lhy); const FiniteElement& fely = fes_y->GetFE(ely,lhy); FlatArray<DofId> dofsy = ely.GetDofs(); FlatMatrix<> elmat_fesy(dofsy.Size(),lhy); CalcElementMatrix_tpy<2>(fely,eltrans_y,lhy,elmat_fesy); maty->AddElementMatrixSymmetric(dofsy,elmat_fesy); }); .... }
More
5 years 3 months ago #1364 by christopher
Hi,
Do you use a standard HCurl space? IterateElements uses the coloring of the finite element space to decide which elements can be assembled at the same time.
Best
Christopher
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #1365 by jhauser
Yes, I use the standard HCurl space:
Code:
meshx = Mesh(unit_square.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.5)) fesx = HCurl(meshx,order=1)
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by jhauser.
More
5 years 3 months ago #1366 by joachim
Hi,

Are you using the TaskManager ?
If not, IterateElements is not parallel anyway.
If yes, what happens without ?

Is the x-space or the y-space the HCurl ? The C++ part and the python part look inconsistent.

Your code snipped looks reasonable. It's difficult to help with this information. Maybe you can upload a full example producing this random results.

Joachim
More
5 years 3 months ago #1367 by jhauser
No, I do not parallelize it. That's why I have no clue what's the real problem.

Here a shortened version of my code, which still produces the error on my computer:

I am currently working in the ml-ngs file system. The two files which I've attached, I put into /1_Basic/4_utility_functions. The following lines I added in utility_function.hpp (in /1_Basic/4_utility_functions):
Code:
namespace mymaxassembleSMALL { void MyMaxwellAssemble_small(shared_ptr<FESpace> fes_in, shared_ptr<CoefficientFunction> eps_coef, shared_ptr<CoefficientFunction> mu_coef, shared_ptr<CoefficientFunction> f_coef); }
and added
Code:
m.def("MyMaxwellAssembleSMALL", &mymaxassembleSMALL::MyMaxwellAssemble_small);
in myngspy.cpp (in /1_Basic) to the list of exported functions in the end of the file. Of course I added "4_utility_functions/myMaxAssembling_small.cpp" in CMakeLists.txt to "add_ngsolve_python_module" as well.
More
5 years 3 months ago #1368 by joachim
Hi,
after creation of a sparse matrix, it is NOT zero-initialized.
You have to call
Code:
matrix.SetZero()
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds