Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

How to access CreateSmoothingBlocks from python for fes?

More
3 years 3 months ago #3442 by Guosheng Fu
Hello,

I am trying to use the "many" default smoothing blocks implemented for finite element spaces for preconditioning.
So I tried to export CreateSmoothingBlocks for a finite element space (EdgeFESpace is "exactly" your NedelecFESpace), with
Code:
ExportFESpace<EdgeFESpace> (m, "EdgeFESpace") .def("CreateSmoothingBlocks", [](shared_ptr<EdgeFESpace> self, int type) { return self->CreateSmoothingBlocks(type); }, py::arg("type"), "create smoothing block for this type") ;

But when I call
Code:
fes.CreateSmoothingBlocks(0)
python complains:
Code:
TypeError: Unable to convert function return value to a Python type! The signature was (self: xfem.ngsxfem_py.EdgeFESpace, type: int) -> ngcore::Table<int, unsigned long>

I didn't find a solution to this in the source files. Can you help with this?

Best,
Guosheng
More
3 years 3 months ago #3453 by christopher
This means that the class Table<int, unsigned long> doesn't have a Python equivalent (=export). You can either export the table or convert the table first to some Python object (for example a list of lists).
Best
Christopher
More
3 years 3 months ago #3456 by Guosheng Fu
Yes. I noticed that the python list will then be converted back to Table <int, unsigned long> in the CreateBlockSmoother class.
But, I haven't found a way to convert the Table<int, ...> class back to python list back. I don't know how to create a python list in C++.
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #3458 by christopher
Something like
Code:
py::list pytable; for(const auto& row : table) pytable.append(MakePyList(row));
should work.

But you could as well just export the Table and write another python constructor for the smoother to be constructed with a table, then you don't have to copy

Best
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by christopher.
More
3 years 3 months ago #3460 by Guosheng Fu
Thanks, Christopher. This works.
I need to change the loop to
Code:
for(const auto& row : *table)
as table is a smart pointer from CreateSmoothingBlocks.

The code works much faster now.
So, there is basically no difference from the python end whether the block is a list of lists or a list of sets (which we use to generate the blocks in the python script) because they will simply be converted to the Table<int> type in CreateBlockSmoother, right?
More
3 years 3 months ago #3461 by Guosheng Fu
To create a new python BlockSmoother constructor that takes the table as input seems the fastest approach, but then I need to modify the source file in linalg/python_linalg.cpp, which is a bit of a headache for me. (if you could include this in later ngsolve versions, that would be great ;)

Currently I am simply adding "new" fespaces/classes in a separate project, which I feel a little bit safer as I don't need to directly touch the git source files.
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds