Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

problems with the docs

More
3 years 6 months ago #3189 by joachim
Replied by joachim on topic problems with the docs
looks like you have an elder version of NGSolve, these are all quite new features

you can print the active version via
Code:
print (ngsolve.__version__)

current version is 2008

in the online documentation you can choose the ngsolve-version at the bottom of the menu on the left.

Joachim
More
3 years 6 months ago #3190 by Poulin
Replied by Poulin on topic problems with the docs
Thank you for the help.

When I am in a notebook and I type the line that you suggested, after importing ngsolve, I get an error

NameError Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-13-33901d1e5014> in <module>
1 from ngsolve import *
----> 2 print (ngsolve.__version__)

NameError: name 'ngsolve' is not defined

However, when I am in the terminal and typ in netgen I see I'm using a very old version,

$ netgen
NETGEN-6.2.2007
Developed by Joachim Schoeberl at
2010-xxxx Vienna University of Technology
2006-2010 RWTH Aachen University
1996-2006 Johannes Kepler University Linz
Including OpenCascade geometry kernel
optfile ./ng.opt does not exist - using default values
togl-version : 2
OCC module loaded
loading ngsolve library
NGSolve-6.2.2007
Using Lapack
Including sparse direct solver UMFPACK
Running parallel using 36 thread(s)
importing NGSolve-6.2.2007

This is what installed in ubuntu usin apt-get.

To get a newer version do you recommend I build them from source?
More
3 years 6 months ago #3191 by Poulin
To get the latest version I decided to build from source. Everything seemed to go well until it was scannin gdependencies of target ngstd, and that's where it failed because of an error. Should I post this until a different problem?

Scanning dependencies of target ngstd
[ 1%] Building CXX object ngstd/CMakeFiles/ngstd.dir/blockalloc.cpp.o
In file included from /home/fpoulin/software/ngsolve-src/ngstd/ngstd.hpp:14,
from /home/fpoulin/software/ngsolve-src/ngstd/blockalloc.cpp:12:
/home/fpoulin/software/ngsolve-src/include/ngs_stdcpp_include.hpp:43:2: error: #error "GCC 9.1/9.2 generates wrong code on AVX512 platforms (see gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=93009 ). Either build for a different architecture (cmake -DUSE_NATIVE=OFF), or use a different compiler (like GCC 8.3 or Clang)"
43 | #error "GCC 9.1/9.2 generates wrong code on AVX512 platforms (see gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=93009 ). Either build for a different architecture (cmake -DUSE_NATIVE=OFF), or use a different compiler (like GCC 8.3 or Clang)"
| ^~~~~
make[5]: *** [ngstd/CMakeFiles/ngstd.dir/build.make:63: ngstd/CMakeFiles/ngstd.dir/blockalloc.cpp.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:173: ngstd/CMakeFiles/ngstd.dir/all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [Makefile:141: all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/ngsolve.dir/build.make:116: dependencies/Stamp/ngsolve/ngsolve-build] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:222: CMakeFiles/ngsolve.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:152: all] Error 2
More
3 years 6 months ago #3192 by matthiash
Replied by matthiash on topic problems with the docs
Hello,

Concerning the apt-get version: Which Ubuntu version do you have? Note that 19.10 is already end-of-life and not receiving updates anymore.

Concerning the compiler error: Your compiler version is buggy, that's why we had to explicitly block it. One way to work around it, is configuring cmake with
-DUSE_NATIVE_ARCH=OFF
which results in sub-optimal performance of the generated code (no AVX instructions used).

I think both of your issues could be solved by an Ubuntu upgrade.

Best,
Matthias
More
3 years 6 months ago #3193 by Poulin
Thank you Matthias.

I will certainly get my ubuntu machine upgraded.

For the moment I have used the configuration that you suggested and have been able to install version 6.2.2008 with success. I admit that the instructions I found in the docs did not quite work in setting up the PYTHONPATH but I figured out what it should be so I'm happy about that.

I can also verify that the Maxwells example does work, and I suspect the others will work as well.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds