Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

proper environment setup for MPI in jupyter notebook

More
3 years 10 months ago #2830 by Guosheng Fu
Hello,

How to properly set up jupyter notebook so that I can use MPI there? I couldn't find a solution online.
For python, we simply preload the library using the ngspy hack:
Code:
LD_PRELOAD=... pythonr $*
Can we do the same thing for jupyter notebook?

Best,
Guosheng
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #2832 by lkogler
Are you really sure this is something you absolutely want to do?

As far as the preloads are concerned, If you set the LD_PRELOAD from ngspy as an environment variable it should work. But that will not yet allow you to run MPI parallel jupyter notebooks - the jupyter notebook spawns a python instance in the background, and you want THAT to be parallel, not the notebook itself.

I have managed to set something like this up in the past using jupyter clusters, but is is very finicky and a bit unstable.

You can look into jupyter clusters and have a look at the MPI jupyter notebooks from the 2nd user meeting if you want to give it a try. I can also give you the ipyparallel config files I used back then if you want.

Best,
Lukas
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by lkogler.
More
3 years 10 months ago #2834 by Guosheng Fu
Hi Lukas,

Looks very complicated to do... ;<
I am doing jupyter only for education purpose. I just want to show the petsc amg preconditioner from the ngs-petsc library, which needs MPI to start with.
Currently, I simply go back to the plain python code to do the demo.
Can you walk me thought the setup? :>

Best,
Guosheng
More
3 years 10 months ago #2835 by lkogler
The petsc-amg preconditioner needs an NGSolve version that is compiled with MPI, but it does not require you to actually run in parallel.

If you want to use this in a sequential run (but an MPI version), just setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH should do it. It only gets complicated when you want multiple MPI ranks.

If this does not work for some reason, a workaround would be to manually load the libraries from the ngspy script at the top of your jupyter notebook. Have a look at CDLL from the ctypes python module.

Best,
Lukas
More
3 years 10 months ago #2839 by Guosheng Fu
I just want to use the preconditioner in serial.
Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my bashrc file does not work.
Can you give me a demo on manual load via ngspy?
CDLL and ctypes in python are foreign language to me. I am afraid dig into that.
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #2848 by lkogler
Put something like this at the top of the jupyter notebook
Code:
from ctypes import CDLL, RTLD_GLOBAL # these are the libraries that are preloaded by ngspy, we can replace all the MKL libraries by # the runtime library libmkl_rt libs = ["/home/lkogler/local/openmpi-3.1-gcc-8.1/lib/libmpi.so", "/opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_rt.so"] for lib in libs: CDLL(lib, RTLD_GLOBAL) from ngsolve import *

Generally, I have found that you really only need to preload the libmkl_rt library when you do it this way.

Best,
Lukas
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by lkogler.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds