Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Magnetostatic cur-curl formulation in 2D

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #2729 by creativeworker
Thank you very much for the clarification. Is it then correct to say that for 2D Magnetostatics it does depent on how my source structure is?

For example for a simple coil around an iron core:
* I can cut the the coil saggital such that three rectangles are created. The current (load) is then a scalar and so is the solution (vector potential A). In this case using H1 (Lagrange nodal elements) is correct and there is no problem with the "jumping" field.

* I can cut the system transversal such that a circle and a ring are created. Then the current is in plane and so will the vector field be. To bring that correct to finite elements, I would have to use HCurl-Space (Nedelec edge elements)?

Thanks again for your effort!
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by creativeworker.
More
3 years 10 months ago #2747 by mneunteufel
Yes, you are right.

In the first case H1 is the correct choice and the jumping coefficient doesn't make problems. It is like a Poisson problem with e.g. a discontinuous heat conductivity coefficient
[tex]div(\lambda \nabla u)=f.[/tex]

Just a remark: If you want to use a Zienkiewicz-Zhu (ZZ) type error estimator you have to interpolate the "flux" into HCurl, not VectorH1, like is done here in HDiv.

In the second case HCurl will produce better results than VectorH1.

Best,
Michael
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds