Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Magnetostatic cur-curl formulation in 2D

More
3 years 11 months ago #2686 by creativeworker
Hello,

i want to compare H1-space and HCurl-space for 2D magnetostatics problems.
I got it running in 3D, but have a problem in 2D with HCurl-space with the current enforcement.

For the H1-space i defined the current like this:
Code:
curdens1_cf = CoefficientFunction([curdens if mat == "coil1" else 0 for mat in mesh.GetMaterials()]) ... f += SymbolicLFI(curdens1_cf*v)
For HCurl this can't work, because v has dim=2.

Can anybody give me a hint, where i can find a clue to the right solution?
More
3 years 11 months ago #2689 by mneunteufel
Hi creativeworker,

in 2D there are two curl operators, one scalar to vector and one vector to scalar curl. So there are also two different curl-curl problems
[tex]\text{curl}^{vs}\text{curl}^{sv}:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/tex]
and
[tex]\text{curl}^{sv}\text{curl}^{vs}:\mathbb{R}^2\to\mathbb{R}^2[/tex]
where "vs" and "sv" means vector-to-scalar and scalar-to-vector.

To use H(curl) elements I guess you will need the second equation, as the first one does only work for scalar fields. When using the second one the right-hand side should also be a vector.

Best
Michael
More
3 years 11 months ago #2716 by creativeworker
Thanks for your hint. I tried to work it out by myself, but couldn't find the right way. Perhaps you can give me a minimal example? Thank you in advance!
More
3 years 11 months ago #2717 by mneunteufel
Hi creativeworker,

attached you'll find a minimal example of a 2D curl-curl formulation with H1 and HCurl.

I don't know how physically this problem is, but it should be suitable for comparing H1 with HCurl in 2D.
For example if you change the order from 2 to 1 the H1 solution does not look correct, whereas the HCurl solution do.

Best
Michael

File Attachment:

File Name: curlcurl_2d.py
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: creativeworker
More
3 years 11 months ago #2720 by creativeworker
Thank you, that help a lot for understanding!
Now, I see I need the opposite curl, so that I can solve a ScalarH1 (scalar source and scalar result) equation in HCurl Space. Do I have to define my own curl operator then?
More
3 years 10 months ago #2725 by mneunteufel
Hi creativeworker,

to use the HCurl Space you need to have a vector-valued unknown and thus a vector-valued right-hand side.
As far as I know the vector-valued version is the right one for Maxwell-equations (in 3D the source is also a vector not a scalar).

The scalar version is "just" a rotated Laplace problem (instead of div(grad(u)) you have rotated div of rotated grad). In this case the H1 space should be a good choice. Here you cannot use HCurl for approximating a scalar u.

Best
Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: creativeworker
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds