Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

pml on waveguides

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #2228 by gcdiwan
pml on waveguides was created by gcdiwan
[attachment=undefined]schema.PNG[/attachment] [attachment=undefined]schema.PNG[/attachment]

Attachment not found

Dear NGSolve developers,
I have trouble with pml when used for a waveguide problem. Consider a 2D geometry: \Omega = [0, Range] X [0, Depth] and the Helmholtz equation:

\Delta u + k^2 u = -f in \Omega

with

\frac{\partial u}{\partial n} = 0 on \Gamma_N (top and bottom boundaries).
To the left and right, we have \Gamma_R where we use the PML, so that \partial \Omega = \Gamma_N \cup \Gamma_R

I wish to prescribe f as a point source at (x0,y0) located in \Omega so I followed the pulse implementation given in the NGSolve’s the i-tutorials page ( ngsolve.org/docu/nightly/i-tutorials/uni...holtz/helmholtz.html )
For the geometry described above, I created the mesh externally in GMsh and specified the regions for PML (to left and right of the source) by using the domain keywords i used in GMsh. While I can see that the solution decays within the PML regions, I would have expected it to undergo an exponential decay due to geometrical spreading loss as it travels to left and right of the point source. Does the NGSolve pml implementation take into account the modal behaviour of waves in a confined cavity unlike fully exterior problem?
I have attached the script that I am using and a schematic of the problem to get an idea.
Many thanks for your help.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by gcdiwan. Reason: added attachments
More
4 years 3 months ago #2229 by gcdiwan
Replied by gcdiwan on topic pml on waveguides
Not sure why the attachment is not visible in my earlier message. Here i am pasting the code below:
Code:
from ngsolve import * from netgen.geom2d import SplineGeometry import numpy as np import subprocess from netgen.read_gmsh import ReadGmsh Rmax = 3e3 Depth = 1e2 Lpml = 1e2 # import the Gmsh file to a Netgen mesh object mesh = ReadGmsh('../../../meshes/waveguide2d_sym.msh') # wrap it into an NGSolve mesh from ngsolve import * mesh = Mesh(mesh) Draw(mesh) pcR = pml.HalfSpace((Rmax,0.),(1,0),2j) pcL = pml.HalfSpace((0,0.),(-1,0),2j) # pc2 = pml.Cartesian((Rmax,0.),(Rmax+Lpml,Depth),2j) # doesn't absorb! mesh.SetPML(pcR,"pmlR") mesh.SetPML(pcL,"pmlL") fes = H1(mesh, order=2, complex=True) u, v = fes.TnT() # Wavenumber & source cspeed = 1500. freq = 20. x0=0. y0=36. omega = 2.*np.pi*freq / cspeed ScaleFactor = 1e1 a = BilinearForm(fes, symmetric=True) a += grad(u)*grad(v)*dx - omega*omega*u*v*dx a.Assemble() pulse = ScaleFactor *exp(-(omega**2)*((x-x0)*(x-x0) + (y-y0)*(y-y0))) f = LinearForm(fes) f += -pulse * v * dx f.Assemble() gfu = GridFunction(fes, name="u") gfu.vec.data = a.mat.Inverse() * f.vec vtk = VTKOutput(ma=mesh, coefs=[gfu.real], names = ["ureal"],filename="wgfem_real",subdivision=3) vtk.Do() vtk = VTKOutput(ma=mesh, coefs=[gfu.imag], names = ["uimag"],filename="wgfem_imag",subdivision=3) vtk.Do()
More
4 years 3 months ago #2235 by christopher
Replied by christopher on topic pml on waveguides
can you attach the mesh as well? In your example the left side pml starts at 0 and the right at Rmax, the cartesian at Rmax and Rmax+Lpml
Cartesian specifies a box, and outside of the box there are pml layers
Best
Christopher
More
4 years 3 months ago #2236 by gcdiwan
Replied by gcdiwan on topic pml on waveguides
Hi Christopher,
Thanks for your reply.

Cartesian specifies a box, and outside of the box there are pml layers

Yes, but i have commented that specific line for cartesian pml as i did not understand how to use that or why it did not show any reduction in wave amplitude in the pml region. Most likely i have got the halfspace pml wrong as well as by definition it should be applied on one side alone, right?
I have attached my geo file below.
Thanks again for your help.

File Attachment:

File Name: waveguide2...20-5.geo
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: waveguide2...20-5.geo
File Size:1 KB
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds