Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Multigrid/BDDC Preconditioner applied to Stokes

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #1998 by hvwahl
Hi everyone,

I have tried to apply the bddc and multigrid preconditioners to the Stokes problem, discretised Taylor-Hood elements.

File Attachment:

File Name: StokesMultigrid.py
File Size:4 KB

Unfortunately I have come across the following issues,
  1. BDDC with GMRes: The pressure error stops converging after some mesh refinements, even with a very small tollerance and a large number of gmres iterations. A direct solver on the other hand gives pressures which continue to converge.
  2. Multigrid with static condensation: Numeric factorization fails when the matrix is assembled (this did not happen on a Poission example).
  3. Multigrid without static condensation: Segfault see

File Attachment:

File Name: segfault.txt
    File Size:3 KB

Can anyone help me with these problems?

Best wishes,
Henry
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by hvwahl. Reason: Wrong attachment
More
4 years 5 months ago #2013 by hvwahl
I'm sorry, I attached the wrong python script. The new file illustrates the three issues I ran into.
More
4 years 5 months ago #2017 by christopher
Multigrid for compound spaces doesn't do something useful (I thought it would just do jacobian or something like that). The reason is that the spaces implement the "good" blocks for the blockjacobi preconditioner and the dofs for the coarse inverse. For a useful preconditioner for compound spaces you need to build the blocks yourself, as explained in ngsolve.org/docu/latest/i-tutorials/unit...obi/blockjacobi.html

I agree, segfaults are not the nicest way to tell you that ;)
More
4 years 5 months ago #2020 by hvwahl
Hi Christopher,

thanks for clarifying what the problem was :)

Best wishes, Henry
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds