Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Unstructed mesh with structured subdomain

More
4 years 6 months ago #1972 by hvwahl
Hi everyone,

is it possible to create a mesh, where an inner subdomain contains a structured mesh (e.g. with meshes.MakeStructured2DMesh() ) which in turn is inside a larger domain with a coarser, unstructured mesh?

So something like this:
Code:
geo = SplineGeometry() geo.AddRectangle([0,0],[1,1]) geo.AddRectangle([0.33,0.33],[0.66,0.66],leftdomain=2, rightdomain=1) geo.SetDomainMaxH(1,0.1) geo.SetDomainMaxH(2,0.02) mesh = Mesh(geo.GenerateMesh())
but with a structured mesh in domain 2.

Best wishes,
Henry
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #1975 by christopher
It is, but not straight forward:

create a mesh for the outside, where the boundaries of the top and bottom edge of the enclosed subdomain have copied edges. Then you need to fill the interior with a structured mesh. The following code uses some knowledge of how edges and so on are treated internally and moving code lines may result in unexpected behaviour ;)
Code:
from netgen.geom2d import * from netgen.meshing import * geo = SplineGeometry() geo.AddRectangle([0,0],[1,1]) sd = ((0.33,0.33),(0.66,0.66)) pts = [geo.AppendPoint(*p) for p in [sd[0], (sd[1][0], sd[0][1]), sd[1], (sd[0][1], sd[1][0])]] index = {} index["bot"] = geo.Append( ["line", pts[0], pts[1]], leftdomain=0, rightdomain=1, maxh=0.01) index["top"] = geo.Append( ["line", pts[3], pts[2]], copy=index["bot"], maxh=0.01) index["right"] = geo.Append( ["line", pts[1], pts[2]], leftdomain=0, rightdomain=1) index["left"] = geo.Append( ["line", pts[0], pts[3]], copy=index["right"]) geo.SetDomainMaxH(1,0.1) mesh = geo.GenerateMesh() # inverse map with index shift inv_map = {} for key,val in index.items(): inv_map[val+1] = key segments = {key : [] for key in index} for el in mesh.Elements1D(): if el.index in inv_map: segments[inv_map[el.index]].append(el.vertices) pnts = {} for key, val in segments.items(): pnts[key] = [mesh[el[0]] for el in val] pnts[key].append(mesh[val[-1][1]]) rows = [[seg[0] for seg in segments["bot"]]] rows[0].append(segments["bot"][-1][1]) for i in range(1,len(segments["left"])): new_row = [segments["left"][i][0]] for j in range(1, len(segments["bot"])): new_row.append(mesh.Add(MeshPoint(Pnt(pnts["bot"][j][0], pnts["left"][i][1], 0)))) new_row.append(segments["right"][i][0]) rows.append(new_row) rows.append([seg[0] for seg in segments["top"]]) rows[-1].append(segments["top"][-1][1]) mesh.Add(FaceDescriptor(surfnr = 2, bc=2)) for i in range(len(rows)-1): for j in range(len(rows[0])-1): el = Element2D(index=2, vertices=[rows[i][j], rows[i][j+1], rows[i+1][j+1], rows[i+1][j]]) mesh.Add(el) from ngsolve import * msh = Mesh(mesh) Draw(msh)

Hope this helps :)

Best
Christopher
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by christopher.
More
4 years 6 months ago #1976 by hvwahl
Hi Christopher,

thank you very much for your help! I have changed the 2D element loop to get triangular elements, but is working perfectly!

Best wishes,
Henry
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds