Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Segfault when creating 1D mesh

More
4 years 6 months ago #1934 by JanWesterdiep
Hey team,

I'm trying to build a 1D mesh with two subdomains, somewhat like ngsolve.org/docu/nightly/i-tutorials/uni...mains-and-boundaries

I was unable to find helper methods for 1D meshes, so I tried something more manual, like
Code:
from netgen.meshing import Element0D, Element1D, Element2D, MeshPoint, Pnt from netgen.meshing import Mesh as NetGenMesh import ngsolve N = 10 ngmesh = NetGenMesh(dim=1) pids = [] # Add points to the mesh. for i in range(N + 1): pids.append(ngmesh.Add(MeshPoint(Pnt(i / N, 0, 0)))) # Left half of the domain is material 1, right half material 2. for i in range(N): ngmesh.Add(Element1D([pids[i], pids[i + 1]], index=1 if i <= 5 else 2)) ngmesh.SetMaterial(1, "domain_left") ngmesh.SetMaterial(2, "domain_right") # Add BC to the mesh. ngmesh.Add(Element0D(pids[0], index=1)) # Added index is 1 ngmesh.Add(Element0D(pids[N], index=2)) ngmesh.SetBCName(0, "l") # Index is retrieved as 0 ngmesh.SetBCName(1, "r") # Create NGSolve mesh and refine it once uniformly. mesh = ngsolve.Mesh(ngmesh) for el in mesh.Elements(): mesh.SetRefinementFlag(el, True) mesh.Refine()

Now, this code segfaults:
Code:
$ netgen mwe.py NETGEN-6.2-dev Developed by Joachim Schoeberl at 2010-xxxx Vienna University of Technology 2006-2010 RWTH Aachen University 1996-2006 Johannes Kepler University Linz optfile ./ng.opt does not exist - using default values togl-version : 2 loading ngsolve library NGSolve-6.2.1907 Using Lapack Including sparse direct solver UMFPACK Running parallel using 8 thread(s) importing NGSolve-6.2.1907 (should) load python file 'mwe.py' Mesh bisection Segmentation fault: 11

I was unable to run it through valgrind (no support yet on newer MacOS systems, :-() so I have little idea what is going wrong. In any case, I have two questions:
- how would I make this code work, or at least achieve the same goal?
- In setting the boundary conditions, there is a discrepancy between the indices (see comment) -- what am I doing wrong?

Thank you!!
More
4 years 6 months ago #1935 by joachim
Hi Jan,

thank you for the report ...

using Netgen/NGSolve in 1D is not the main focus, and some things are a bit crooked.
Yes, we have this 0/1-based discrepancy, and the way out is to use labels wherever possible.

I just added an exception telling that mesh refinement in 1D is not supported, instead of segfaulting.

Joachim
More
4 years 6 months ago #1944 by joachim
Hi,

we have now an updated method to get rid of the 0/1-based indexing for the element-index.

We first create a 0/1/2/3-dimensional region, and get the region-index back.
This index is used for the elements. We should not worry whether it is 0 or 1-based:
Code:
idx_doml = ngmesh.AddRegion("domain_left", dim=1) idx_domr = ngmesh.AddRegion("domain_right", dim=1) for i in range(N): ngmesh.Add(Element1D([pids[i], pids[i + 1]], index=idx_doml if i < 5 else idx_domr))

the whole example is attached.

the tutorials are also updated.
you need the latest nightly build.

Joachim
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds