Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Evaluation of ProxyFunction

More
4 years 5 months ago #1929 by JanWesterdiep
Hello team,

After recently attending a workshop in Vienna that featured NGSolve (RMMM2019), I finally took the plunge and am slowly working on understanding the codebase. I have a number of questions, with one problem in particular. For now, I am using the Python frontend, which I hope will be sufficient for my application.

- I am used to navigating code documentation with something like Doxygen, but it seems this is unavailable for NGSolve. Although very extensive, sometimes the example code at ngsolve.org/docu is not sufficient and I resort to calling `help(variable_or_class)` to get some idea of the methods a class has. Is this the intended way? Is there any way for me to generate/find Doxygen-like documentation?
- My specific application features point evaluations of test- and trial functions, like such:
Code:
I = some_mesh_on_the_interval() X = H1(I) u, v = X.TnT() C = BilinearForm(X) C += u * v * dx + epsilon * u(I(0.0)) * v(I(0.0))
This code gives me the cryptic error "netgen.libngpy._meshing.NgException: cannot evaluate ProxyFunction without userdata", however it does not give me a traceback to *where* this error comes from, and this string gives no hits on google, nor does "userdata" yield a hit in the documentation.

Am I approaching this problem the wrong way?

In any case, thank you immensely for the codebase :-)
More
4 years 5 months ago #1930 by mneunteufel
Hi JanWesterdiep,

it is not possible to evaluate a ProxyFunction at a mesh point.
Therefore you first have to solve the problem and then evaluate the GridFunction where the solution is stored.

I don't understand your BilinarForm completely. Do you want to have a boundary integral?
This is done by the ds integrator:

Code:
I = some_mesh_on_the_interval() X = H1(I) u, v = X.TnT() C = BilinearForm(X) C += u * v * dx + epsilon * u* v * ds

However, with this both boundaries of the interval are "evaluated". You can use the IfPos command
Code:
C += u * v * dx + IfPos(x-1e-5,0,1)*epsilon * u* v * ds

or use the definedon syntax (therefore the boundaries must have a name or number)
Code:
C += u * v * dx + epsilon * u* v * ds(definedon=mesh.Boundaries("left"))

Best,
Michael
More
4 years 5 months ago #1931 by JanWesterdiep
Michael -- Perfect, your last suggestion works well. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds