Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Adaptive Mesh Refinement in 3D

More
4 years 6 months ago #1940 by Elsakori
Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your assistance.
Do I need to Install the latest release or the nightly build release to get these changes?.

Regards,

Ahmed
More
4 years 6 months ago #1943 by christopher
Hi,
currently it is only in the nightly release, but we plan to release 1909 this weak.
Best
Christopher
More
4 years 6 months ago #1948 by Elsakori
Hello Christopher,

The latest nightly build doesn't work on my macOS (10.12.6). Actually any release from September 3 and older works fine, but the latest ones (September 4 and later) do not work.

Best,

Ahmed
More
4 years 6 months ago #1949 by tommaso
Hello,

I was trying to do something very similar here. I would like to solve an electrostatic problem in 3D and use the adaptive refinement method to improve the result accuracy.

In practice I want to do the following.
I build a 3D geometry composed of a prism which contains come charge density surrounded by a "vacuum" domain enclosed in a far external surface (a sphere).
I than try to solve the BVP of the related Poisson problem with the adaptive refinement algorithm as in the example in section 1.6 (Error estimation & adaptive refinement).
I also added the lines of code suggested by Christopher to remove the refinement flags for surface elements.

As a result, i find a strange behavior of the error estimator. Indeed, with increasing mesh density the
error estimate tends to zero, but not with a monotonic manner (as in the tutorial example).
I have the feeling there is something wrong going on, but I can't say if it's a problem of my code or something related to the 3D refinement as faced by Ahmed.

I'm attaching the code.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Tommaso
More
4 years 6 months ago #1950 by joachim
Hi Tomasso,

have a look at your solution ... and think about your boundary conditions

J
More
4 years 6 months ago #1951 by tommaso
Hi Joachim,

My bad. It was a stupid mistake. Thanks for pointing that out.

Best,
Tommaso
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds