Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Mac build problem

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #1665 by hvwahl
Mac build problem was created by hvwahl
Hi,

I just tried to install NGSolve from the sources on my Mac (MacOS 14.5) in the same manner I have always done. Unfortunately this failed:
Code:
[ 29%] Building CXX object fem/CMakeFiles/ngfem.dir/hcurlfe.cpp.o /Applications/NGSolve/src-ngs/fem/hcurlfe.cpp:463:7: error: use of undeclared identifier 'testout' (*testout) << "a = " << a << endl; ^ /Applications/NGSolve/src-ngs/fem/hcurlfe.cpp:481:8: error: use of undeclared identifier 'testout' (*testout) << "breakdown in householder, a = " << a << endl; ^ /Applications/NGSolve/src-ngs/fem/hcurlfe.cpp:650:7: error: use of undeclared identifier 'testout' (*testout) << " Compute Gradient Matrix H1-HCurl Low order FEs " << endl ^ /Applications/NGSolve/src-ngs/fem/hcurlfe.cpp:2684:7: error: use of undeclared identifier 'testout' (*testout) << "fiphij3 = " << endl << fiphij3 << endl; ^ 4 errors generated. make[5]: *** [fem/CMakeFiles/ngfem.dir/hcurlfe.cpp.o] Error 1 make[5]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs.... make[4]: *** [fem/CMakeFiles/ngfem.dir/all] Error 2 make[3]: *** [all] Error 2 make[2]: *** [dependencies/Stamp/ngsolve/ngsolve-build] Error 2 make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/ngsolve.dir/all] Error 2 make: *** [all] Error 2
I have attached the full terminal Output.

File Attachment:

File Name: make_termi...tput.txt
File Size:957 KB

The motivation behind a clean install, was because the Netgen GUI crashed on startup, see

File Attachment:

File Name: netgen_gui_fail.txt
File Size:3 KB
. (The python interface was working.)

Can anyone help with these issues?

Best wishes,
Henry
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by hvwahl.
More
4 years 9 months ago #1673 by matthiash
Replied by matthiash on topic Mac build problem
Hi Henry,

testout was moved to Netgen, so I guess you didn't update the submodule before building NGSolve:
Code:
# in source dir of NGSolve: git submodule update --init --recursive

The second issue is nagging us since the last MacOS update. In order to get Netgen running, you need to download an old SDK (Version 10.9 from here: github.com/phracker/MacOSX-SDKs​ ) and point CMake to it at configure time:
Code:
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.9 cmake -DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT=path_to_your_sdk ...

Best,
Matthias
More
4 years 9 months ago #1675 by hvwahl
Replied by hvwahl on topic Mac build problem
Hello Matthias,

thank you for your response! I looked into the terminal output and I did update the submodules. I also tried to build it with the latest sources and the SDK 10.9 but had the same issue with testout.

Best wishes,
Henry
More
4 years 9 months ago #1676 by matthiash
Replied by matthiash on topic Mac build problem
Now I see the issue: You have another installation of Netgen/NGSolve in /Applications/Netgen.app

The build erroneously uses this incompatible Netgen version to build NGSolve.
I will see that this gets fixed, in the meantime you have to (re)move the other version at /Applications/Netgen.app before building you own one.

Best,
Matthias
More
4 years 9 months ago #1677 by hvwahl
Replied by hvwahl on topic Mac build problem
Thank you Matthias! This has worked now!

It hadn't occurred to me that the Netgen.app would be a problem, as I did not add it to my Path variable.

Best wishes,
Henry
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds