Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

boundary integral

More
4 years 11 months ago #1517 by noname
boundary integral was created by noname
Hello everyone,

I have a very simple question. I am doing flux calculations and want to calculate line integral on the "outlet" boundary (the right boundary) of a square mesh. I know my solution i.e u_h is correct because it converges but it seems like I am doing something wrong with flux calculation since it is not giving me the results I expect.

The analytical flux I expect is grad(u_analy)*n and I choose u_analytical to be (x^2+y^2,0) in two dimensions. Since I am in right boundary of a square mesh my n is (1,0). So I expect flux analytical to be (2x , 0). The square has dimensions of [-1,1]^2 so the analytical result is 0. But mu numerical result is far from that.. I am doing the boundary integration below...

Code:
VH1= H1(mesh, order=2, dirichlet="wall|inlet") gradu00 = GridFunction(VH1) gradu01 = GridFunction(VH1) gradu10 = GridFunction(VH1) gradu11 = GridFunction(VH1) gradu00.Set(grad(u_h.components[0])[0]) gradu01.Set(grad(u_h.components[0])[1]) gradu10.Set(grad(u_h.components[1])[0]) gradu11.Set(grad(u_h.components[1])[1]) et = GridFunction(VH1) et.Set(CoefficientFunction(1.0), definedon=mesh.Boundaries("outlet")) flux_x = Integrate(et*( gradu00*n[0] + gradu01*n[1] ), mesh, BND) flux_y = Integrate(et*( gradu10*n[0] + gradu11*n[1] ), mesh, BND) print ("flux_x:", flux_x) print ("flux_y:", flux_y)

Am I doing it wrong ?
More
4 years 11 months ago #1518 by mneunteufel
Replied by mneunteufel on topic boundary integral
Hello noname,

on the right boundary I expect x to be constant 1 and therefore the analytical flux to be 4, not 0.

What numerical value do you obtain?

Best,
Michael
More
4 years 11 months ago #1519 by noname
Replied by noname on topic boundary integral
Hi Michael,

I get almost 4 numerically... but I really do not follow why you expect 4 analytically ...
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #1520 by noname
With the same logic, on the circular boundary defined by level set function x^2+y^2-0.5^2=0 (using the same analytical solution) i calculate n to be <2x/sqrt(4x^2+4y^2) , 2y/sqrt(4x^2+4y^2)> and I calculate grad(u_analy)=<2x , 2y>
that makes analytical flux around the circle which is grad(u_analy).n to be
<4x^2/sqrt(4x^2+4y^2) + 4y^2/sqrt(4x^2+4y^2)> = 1. Am I also wrong here ?
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by noname.
More
4 years 11 months ago #1522 by mneunteufel
Replied by mneunteufel on topic boundary integral
1) Let the domain [-1,1]^2 and u = (x^2+y^2,0). Then grad(u)= (2x, 2y; 0, 0). The right boundary is given by the set { (1,y) : -1<=y<=1} and the according normal vector is n=(1,0). Therefore, grad(u)*n = (2x, 0) on the right boundary. Further x=1 on the right boundary => grad(u)*n = (2, 0) on the right boundary. Integrating this flux over the right boundary (it has length 2) yields int(2, y=-1..1) = 4.
This is what I also observe numerically.

2) Let the domain given by the level-set function x^2+y^2-0.5^2=0. The normal vector is then given by n= (2x,2y) (simplifying your expression by using the level-set equation). Thus, grad(u)*n = (4x^2 + 4y^2, 0) = (1,0). Integrating over the boundary of the circle yields int(1) = 2*r*pi= pi.
The numerical result is also near pi.

Attached you find the according python-code for both examples.

File Attachment:

File Name: bnd_int_circ.py
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: bnd_int_rect.py
File Size:1 KB

Best,
Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: noname
More
4 years 11 months ago #1523 by noname
Thank you Michael, now it is very clear to me...
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds