Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Periodic BCs on curved domains

More
5 years 1 week ago #1511 by pgangl
Hi,

I'm trying to use periodic boundary conditions as it is described in
ngsolve.org/docu/latest/how_to/periodic.html

for a 3D quarter annulus. It works for me on brick domains, but I cannot make it work on curved geometries. It seems that the mesh is not periodic.

Here is what I do:
Code:
import netgen.gui #%gui tk from ngsolve import * from netgen.csg import * from ngsolve.internal import * geo = CSGeometry() front = Plane (Pnt(0,0,3), Vec(0,0,1) ) back = Plane (Pnt(0,0,-3), Vec(0,0,-1) ) cleft = Plane(Pnt(0,0,0),Vec(-1,0,0)) cbot = Plane(Pnt(0,0,0),Vec(0,-1,0)) cyl2 = Cylinder ( Pnt(0, 0, -5), Pnt(0, 0, 5), 10) cyl3 = Cylinder ( Pnt(0, 0, -5), Pnt(0, 0, 5), 20) cyl23 = ((cyl3 - cyl2)*front*back).bc("outer") dom = cyl23 * cleft * cbot geo.Add(dom) geo.PeriodicSurfaces(cleft, cbot) mesh = Mesh(geo.GenerateMesh(maxh=3)) fes = Periodic(H1(mesh,order=3,dirichlet="outer")) #periodic bcs u,v = fes.TrialFunction(), fes.TestFunction() a = BilinearForm(fes,symmetric=True) a += SymbolicBFI(grad(u) * grad(v)) f = LinearForm(fes) f += SymbolicLFI(atan(y/x)*v) u = GridFunction(fes,"u") with TaskManager(): a.Assemble() f.Assemble() u.vec.data = a.mat.Inverse(fes.FreeDofs()) * f.vec Draw(u) ngsolve.internal.visoptions.clipsolution="scal" ngsolve.internal.viewoptions.clipping.enable=1 ngsolve.internal.viewoptions.clipping.ny=0 ngsolve.internal.viewoptions.clipping.nz=-1 ngsolve.internal.viewoptions.clipping.dist=0

Is there a way to get a periodic mesh also for curved geometries?

Many thanks in advance,
Peter
More
4 years 11 months ago #1514 by joachim
Hi Peter,

it works with the latest Netgen 19.02 released yesterday:

You have to provide a transformation from one to the other periodic boundary. It may be a shift (defined by a vector) or a rotation (defined by a point on the axis, direction of the axis, and the angle):
Code:
geo.PeriodicSurfaces(cleft, cbot, trafo=Trafo(Pnt(0,0,0),Vec(0,0,-1), math.pi/2))

best, Joachim
The following user(s) said Thank You: pgangl
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds