Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

vtk and Revolution()

More
5 years 1 month ago #1497 by pschroe
vtk and Revolution() was created by pschroe
Hey guys,

I have a problem when I want to write a vtk with a 3D geometry which results from the revolution of a 2D spline.

For example, I took the torus example from "Netgen Examples" and added a vtk output in the attached script.
The resulting .vtk file then cannot be read by ParaView (it gives a strange error message).

Am I doing something wrong here?

Best, Philipp
Attachments:
More
5 years 1 month ago #1501 by schruste
Replied by schruste on topic vtk and Revolution()
Dear Philipp,

I cannot reprocude a problem with your file. Can you send your vtk-file to exclude that this is a paraview (version?) issue?
Also: Can you attach the "strange error messages"?

Best,
Christoph
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #1502 by pschroe
Replied by pschroe on topic vtk and Revolution()
Dear Christoph,

I get the following error for both ParaView versions 5.5 and 5.6:
Code:
Generic Warning: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/8275bd07/build/superbuild/paraview/src/VTK/IO/Legacy/vtkDataReader.cxx, line 1436 Error reading ascii data. Possible mismatch of datasize with declaration. ERROR: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/8275bd07/build/superbuild/paraview/src/VTK/IO/Legacy/vtkUnstructuredGridReader.cxx, line 346 vtkUnstructuredGridReader (0x7fe194a11310): Unrecognized keyword: -0.899858

Attached you'll find the vtk file (remove the .py etc. in the filename which I added to fool the restricted file extensions).
The NGSolve version which produced the file is 8ccd382e (09.02.19).

Best, Philipp
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by pschroe.
More
5 years 1 month ago #1503 by schruste
Replied by schruste on topic vtk and Revolution()
Your file works on my machine. So, I am still not sure if it's a problem with the export or with paraview. My paraview version is 5.6.0.

Best,
Christoph
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #1504 by pschroe
Replied by pschroe on topic vtk and Revolution()
Well, this is odd ;)

My problem occurs on a Mac machine, however.
I just tried it on a Linux machine, and indeed, there does not seem to be a problem.

A quick google search reveals that this seems to happen occasionally on Mac systems:
Code:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23814541/paraview-possible-mismatch-of-datasize-with-declaration-error

Best, Philipp
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by pschroe.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds