Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Loading and merging STL files using python script

More
5 years 2 months ago #1422 by spuri
Hello,

Is it possible to do the following using a python script. I am able to do it using GUI.

1. load a binary STL file,
2. create a volume mesh,
3. merge similarly created multiple volume mesh.

Thanks for helping.

Saurabh
More
5 years 2 months ago #1424 by joachim
Hi Saurabh,

you can merge meshes with a little Python programming, here is a similar usecase:

ngsolve.org/docu/latest/i-tutorials/unit...e-dimensional-meshes

Joachim
More
5 years 2 months ago #1426 by spuri
Hello Joachim,

Thanks a lot for the quick response. I followed the link you suggested, however, I am getting following error during the creation of volume mesh.:

netgen.libngpy._meshing.NgException: Stop meshing since boundary mesh is overlapping

Could you please suggest a way to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Saurabh
More
5 years 2 months ago #1427 by joachim
Maybe something with the index conversion went wrong.

It's best to draw the merged meshes (surface and or volume). For that you have to wrap the Netgen-mesh into an NGSolve mesh first:

import ngsolve as ngs
ngsmesh = ngs.Mesh(netgenmesh)
Draw (ngsmesh)

You can also post your py-codes and meshes.

Joachim
More
5 years 2 months ago #1458 by spuri
Hello Joachim,

Thanks again for your response. I am still getting the issue of overlapping elements. I have attached two STL files and the python script I am using to merge them. I can mesh and merge these STL files using the GUI, but not with python.

It would be great if you could take a look at the files and guide me in sorting the issue.

Regards,
Saurabh
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds