Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

petsc linking

More
5 years 4 months ago #1343 by tomathew
petsc linking was created by tomathew
hello, I would like to know if its possible to use PETSc solvers in NGsolve.
Regards
Tom
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1349 by christopher
Replied by christopher on topic petsc linking
Hi Tom,
actually I was interested in this for some time now, your question pushed me to try it ;)
It should be possible using the petsc4py interface. Note that I have no experience at all with petsc and the documentation of their Python interface is not existent... Maybe some things can be done more elegant ;)
I've modified the poisson.py example to use a petsc solver, interfacing with numpy/scipy. Note that on our side no copies are made only type conversions - petsc may do copy / mpi communcations

First we set up the ngsolve problem:
Code:
import petsc4py petsc4py.init() import petsc4py.PETSc as psc import numpy as np from ngsolve import * from scipy.sparse import csr_matrix from netgen.geom2d import unit_square mesh = Mesh(unit_square.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.2)) fes = H1(mesh, order=3) u,v = fes.TnT() f = LinearForm(fes) f += SymbolicLFI(32 * (y*(1-y)+x*(1-x)) * v) a = BilinearForm(fes) a += SymbolicBFI(grad(u)*grad(v)) a += SymbolicBFI(1e6* u*v, definedon=mesh.Boundaries("top|bottom|right|left")) a.Assemble() f.Assemble() gfu = GridFunction(fes)

Then wrap our data with petsc classes and solve there (and draw the solution):
Code:
fpsc = psc.Vec() fpsc.createWithArray(f.vec.FV().NumPy()) spy_csr = csr_matrix(a.mat.CSR(), shape=(a.mat.height, a.mat.width)) apsc = psc.Mat().createAIJ(size=spy_csr.shape) apsc.setUp() (Istart, Iend) = apsc.getOwnershipRange() ai = spy_csr.indptr[Istart:Iend+1] - spy_csr.indptr[Istart] aj = spy_csr.indices[spy_csr.indptr[Istart]:spy_csr.indptr[Iend]] av = spy_csr.data[spy_csr.indptr[Istart]:spy_csr.indptr[Iend]] apsc.setValuesCSR(ai,aj,av) apsc.assemble() ksp = psc.KSP() ksp.create() ksp.setOperators(apsc) upsc = psc.Vec() upsc.createWithArray(gfu.vec.FV().NumPy()) ksp.solve(fpsc,upsc) Draw (gfu)

Since petsc writes the solution into our vector I assume at least for the vectors there are no copies involved.

I don't know how to set dirichlet (non free dofs) for petsc so that it only solves on sub matrices, thats why I implemented the dirichlet boundaries with penalty terms.

Best
Christopher
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by christopher.
More
5 years 4 months ago #1351 by tomathew
Replied by tomathew on topic petsc linking
Thank you very much. I'm would like to try my problem in NGSolve as it supports p-refinement. I work on Maxwell's equations and will get back to you after trying my problem using this script. Thanks again and merry x'mas !
regards
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds