Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Memory - sparse matrix

More
5 years 4 months ago #1307 by bakerk
Hi,

Im using Python37 through Jupyter Notebook with the netgen/ngsolve packages to do finite elements, this part is working but I want to be able to approximate the memory usage of my code. If you are aware of a way to have python profile it please let me know but I couldn't find a way that would work with my set up. If not I would like to know how ngsolve stores its sparse matrices, and how to calculate that?

Many thanks
More
5 years 4 months ago #1310 by christopher
Replied by christopher on topic Memory - sparse matrix
Hi,
some classes have implemented a memory profiling interface (BilinearForm, LinearForm, GridFunction,...)
You can get it by calling the __memory__ property of them for example:
Code:
a = BilinearForm(fes) ... a.Assemble() print(a.__memory__)
gives something like
Code:
[('SparseMatrix bf biform_from_py low-order', 1352, 1), ('SparseMatrix bf biform_from_py', 24200, 1)]
meaning that the sparse matrix uses 24200 bytes in 1 block and the low order matrix (used in some preconditioners,...) needs 1352 bytes in 1 block.

Best
Christopher
More
5 years 4 months ago #1312 by bakerk
Replied by bakerk on topic Memory - sparse matrix
Hi, thanks for replying so quick. When I tried your suggestion I got the following error:

AttributeError: 'ngsolve.comp.BilinearForm' object has no attribute '__memory__'

my 'a' is defined as:

a=BilinearForm(fes,symmetric=False)
a+=SymbolicBFI(grad(u)*grad(v))
a.Assemble()

on a unit square. Did this memory tool get added recently?
More
5 years 4 months ago #1313 by christopher
Replied by christopher on topic Memory - sparse matrix
Yes, git says 2018-09-18. So it should be in the latest version v6.2.1809

Best
Christopher
The following user(s) said Thank You: bakerk
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1317 by bakerk
Replied by bakerk on topic Memory - sparse matrix
Thanks!
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by bakerk.
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds