Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

STEP file meshing with NGLib

More
5 years 6 months ago #1218 by psushrut
We use nglib in a slightly modified way to mesh STEP geometries and use it further. Off late, there have been several meshing failures in the surface meshing of STEP files that read as UV Bounds Exceeded or some Area related failures causing, in all, 4-10 faces to fail. Interestingly, the same file meshes fine in Netgen GUI with a set of settings (Moderate, max edge length set to some small number, and avoiding STEP/STL/IGES close edges disabled).
My specific question is: what all steps does the netgen GUI perform in meshing a step file that I need to replicate to mesh a step file with nglib? Currently I do it as: open STEP file with OCC, mesh edges, mesh surface, mesh volume. I set the same parameters as before.

My initial estimate is that the step of Analyze Geometry in netgen GUI based operation does something to curb/merge/repair bad faces or small faces that possibly are present in the geometry. I dont know how to do this step in nglib based operation. Any pointers? Thanks!
More
5 years 6 months ago #1238 by christopher
Hi,
usually the meshing steps are Mesh Edges -> Mesh Surface -> Optimize Surface -> Mesh Volume -> Optimize Volume.
Maybe you lack the optimizations, which would create a better surface mesh and then the volume mesh could fail.
The string optimize2d in the MeshingParameters specifies which optimization steps are done in which order.
There is a function for healing the occ geometry, but afaik it is not called implicitly...
Best
Christopher
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds