Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Running magnetostatic cmagnet simulation with Lagrange elements

More
5 years 8 months ago #692 by creativeworker
Hello,

i would like to set up an educational example where i assume not knowing that for magnetostatics one should use H(Curl) elements. Also neglecting all the stuff about gauging and stabilization.

I used the cmagnet.py as reference and did the following changes:
Code:
fes = H1(mesh, order=2, dirichlet="outer") a+= SymbolicBFI(nu*div(u)*div(v))

NGsolve tells me now that it cannot form div.
Isn't that the same structure as for linear elasticity problems?
Am i missing a mathematical trap or am i treating the program wrong?

Thank you for that great software and your strong support!
With best regards
More
5 years 8 months ago #693 by cwinters
Hi,

if you define a H1 space, your test and trial functions are scalar.
Thus applying the divergence does not make much sense.
Code:
from netgen.geom2d import unit_square from ngsolve import * mesh = Mesh(unit_square.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.2)) fes = VectorH1(mesh,order=2) # has mesh.dim components u,v = fes.TrialFunction(), fes.TestFunction() print(u) # the trial function also has dim=mesh.dim divu = div(u) # now you can apply the divergence print(divu) # that's scalar again

Best,
Christoph
The following user(s) said Thank You: creativeworker
More
5 years 8 months ago #695 by creativeworker
Ah, i see. Thank you for the good explanation! I thought the dimensions are set automatically in vector form also for the H1.
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds