Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Residual-type a posteriori error estimator

• Vex
More
1 year 1 month ago #4707 by Vex
Hello,

Assuming that I have the 2D Poisson problem with pure Neumann b.c., is there a way to obtain a residual type estimator for H1
norm, in order to use it in an adaptive algorithm? Namely, I would like to compute the following quantity for every element K
of the mesh,

\[\eta_{1, K}=\left\{h_K^2\left\|f+\Delta u_h\right\|_K^2+\frac{1}{2} \sum_{S \in \partial K \cap S_{int}} h_S\left\|\left[ \nabla u_h\cdot \vec{n}\right]\right\|_S^2+\sum_{S\in \partial K\cap \partial \Omega} h_S\left\|g- \nabla u_h\cdot \vec{n}\right\|_S^2\right\}^{\frac{1}{2}}.\]

Here $f$ and $g$ are the right hand side on the domain and the boundary, respectively, while $S$ is an edge and $S_{int}$ is the set of all  interior edges.

Best regards,
Vex
More
1 year 1 month ago #4713 by mneunteufel
Hi Vex,
a residual error estimator for a Dirichlet Poisson problem is given by

h = specialcf.mesh_size
n = specialcf.normal(2)

resT = h*h*(Trace(gfu.Operator("hesse"))+f)**2*dx
resE = h*( (grad(gfu)-grad(gfu).Other())*n )**2 *dx(element_vb=BND)
eta1 = Integrate(resT+resE, mesh, element_wise=True)

To adapt to a Neumann problem I think you have to use some kind of indicator function to identify the boundary edges

indBnd = GridFunction(FacetFESpace(mesh,order=0, dirichlet=".*", autoupdate=True), autoupdate=True)
indBnd.Set(1, BND)
resEbnd = indBnd* h*(grad(gfu)*n-g )**2 *dx(element_vb=BND)

indBnd is 1 at the boundary edges and 0 at the inner edges.

Best,
Michael
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds