Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Exporting to VTK output

More
1 year 1 month ago #4703 by JamesElgy
Recently I've been considering some eddy current type problems involving thin skin depths, which I've been modelling as a conducting object of interest embedded in a larger non-conducting region.

To visualise the skin depth, I've been trying to output VTK files at different frequencies and, in order to reduce the size of the files, I've been trying to export files only showing elements in a specific subdomain. E.g. mesh.Material('cube'). My understanding is that I can specify elements when I export the vtk file using 'drawelems', however, when I do so it removes signficantly more elements than I expect.

I've attached the relevent part of my code. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? I would have expected it to show all the elements inside the cube. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
James

print(' creating vtk output', end='\r')
    ThetaE1 = GridFunction(fes2)
    ThetaE2 = GridFunction(fes2)
    ThetaE3 = GridFunction(fes2)
    ThetaE1.vec.FV().NumPy()[:] = Output[0]
    ThetaE2.vec.FV().NumPy()[:] = Output[1]
    ThetaE3.vec.FV().NumPy()[:] = Output[2]

E1Mag = CoefficientFunction(
        sqrt(InnerProduct(ThetaE1.real, ThetaE1.real) + InnerProduct(ThetaE1.imag, ThetaE1.imag)))
    E2Mag = CoefficientFunction(
        sqrt(InnerProduct(ThetaE2.real, ThetaE2.real) + InnerProduct(ThetaE2.imag, ThetaE2.imag)))
    E3Mag = CoefficientFunction(
        sqrt(InnerProduct(ThetaE3.real, ThetaE3.real) + InnerProduct(ThetaE3.imag, ThetaE3.imag)))
    Sols =
    Sols.append(dom_nrs_metal)
    Sols.append((ThetaE1 * 1j * Omega * sigma).real)
    Sols.append((ThetaE1 * 1j * Omega * sigma).imag)
    Sols.append((ThetaE2 * 1j * Omega * sigma).real)
    Sols.append((ThetaE2 * 1j * Omega * sigma).imag)
    Sols.append((ThetaE3 * 1j * Omega * sigma).real)
    Sols.append((ThetaE3 * 1j * Omega * sigma).imag)
    Sols.append(E1Mag * Omega * sigma)
    Sols.append(E2Mag * Omega * sigma)
    Sols.append(E3Mag * Omega * sigma)

vtk = VTKOutput(ma=mesh, coefs=Sols,
                    names=["Object", "E1real", "E1imag", "E2real", "E2imag", "E3real", "E3imag", "E1Mag",
                           "E2Mag", "E3Mag"], filename='test_file', subdivision=0, legacy=True)

ele_to_draw = mesh.Materials('cube').Mask()
    vtk.Do( drawelems=ele_to_draw)

More
1 year 1 month ago #4704 by schruste
Replied by schruste on topic Exporting to VTK output
Hi James,

The drawelems=... expects a BitArray w.r.t. the mesh elements, not the domains. You are rather prescribing the relevant domain indices. Indeed, drawing only certain materials would be a nice feature, but we haven't implemented this as of now, sorry.

Best,
Christoph
More
1 year 1 month ago #4705 by JamesElgy
Replied by JamesElgy on topic Exporting to VTK output
Ok, thanks for the quick reply Christoph.

James
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds