Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Solve Simple Eigenvalue Equation over 2D Mesh (no FEM)

More
1 year 4 months ago #4555 by Thauwa
Hi,

I apologize for this question, but I wanted to make sure I understand how to solve a simple eigenvalue equation over a 2D mesh using NGSolve. The goal is to get eigenvalues and eigenvectors at each point of the mesh, with the intention of doing more post-processing later. Let's say I have some generally complex-valued 2x2 matrix $A(x,y)$, and I simply want to calculate $V$ and $\lambda$ in the eigenvalue equation: $A V = \lambda V$. If $A$ is Hermitian, $\lambda$ are real, and $V$ are generally complex-valued.
Since there's no FEM yet, I could easily do this using NumPy's linalg(), but I want to see how it can be done using NGSolve. I would want to calculate each $V(x,y)$ and $\lambda(x,y)$ and plot the latter over the mesh. Ultimately, I will be taking derivatives of $V$ and taking dot products, but I want to get this first step down.
Is there a minimal example I could use for reference? I saw some articles and posts about PINVIT, but I want to make sure I am not over-complicating things.

Thank you!
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds