Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Netgen over a remote connection requiring display

More
1 year 6 months ago #4512 by JamesElgy
HI All,

I am trying to use Netgen over a remote desktop connection via an ubuntu terminal without an attached display. My understanding is that

$ netgen -geofile=example.geo -meshfile=example.vol - coarse -batchmode

would generate a mesh of example.geo without opening a gui interface. Is that correct? I am getting tkinter errors about connecting to a display:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/james/.local/bin/netgen", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/home/james/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/netgen/__main__.py", line 45, in main
    from .gui import win
  File "/home/james/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/netgen/gui.py", line 48, in <module>
    StartGUI()
  File "/home/james/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/netgen/gui.py", line 20, in StartGUI
    win = Tk()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/tkinter/__init__.py", line 2299, in __init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className, interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
_tkinter.TclError: couldn't connect to display "localhost:0.0"

Regards,
James
More
1 year 6 months ago #4513 by christopher
in your command is the space between the - and coarse on purpose or a copy mistake?
Because if I remove the space your command works for me.

But how did you install ngsolve? Using provided installer, apt or pip installer?
More
1 year 6 months ago #4514 by JamesElgy
Hi Christopher,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

The space between the - and coarse was a copying mistake I made when I typed my original forum post.
I've installed ngsolve via the pip installer.

Regards,
James

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #4517 by matthiash
Hi James,

The "netgen" executable in the pip installer is actually a python script, not implementing all the options from the "legacy" executable you get when you compile the code yourself. (has to do with python packaging and linkage).

In your case I would write a short python script to do the meshing and run it:
Code:
from netgen.csg import * geom = CSGeometry("some_file.geo") mesh = geom.GenerateMesh(meshsize.coarse) mesh.Save("mesh.vol.gz")

Best,
Matthias
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by matthiash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JamesElgy
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds