Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Local mesh diameter

More
5 years 11 months ago #535 by hvwahl
Local mesh diameter was created by hvwahl
Hi,

I want to compute the actual maxh of a given mesh after it is built. My idea was to iterate through the mesh and call specialcf.mesh_size.Norm(). Something along these lines:
Code:
from netgen.geom2d import unit_square mesh = unit_square.GenerateMesh(maxh=h_max) from ngsolve import * for e in mesh.Elements2D(): print(specialcf.mesh_size)

This does not give me the desired result. I'd appreciate any help :)

Best wishes,
Henry
More
5 years 10 months ago #536 by cwinters
Replied by cwinters on topic Local mesh diameter
Hi,

the function "specialcf.mesh_size" is a CoefficientFunction. Therefore it needs an integration point to evaluate the mesh size. If you have an NGSolve mesh can call "mesh(x,y)" to get an integration point with the coordinates x,y.

But I would suggest an easier solution:
Code:
from netgen.geom2d import unit_square h_max = 0.2 ngmesh = unit_square.GenerateMesh(maxh=h_max) from ngsolve import * mesh = Mesh(ngmesh) elvol = Integrate(CoefficientFunction(1),mesh,element_wise=True) h = [(2*vol)**(1/2) for vol in elvol] print(min(h),max(h))
In the first step you calculate the volume of each element. Knowing that the volume of a simplex is connected to the Jacobian determinant (which scales h^dim) you get an estimate for the mesh size.

Best,
Christoph
The following user(s) said Thank You: hvwahl
More
5 years 10 months ago #537 by hvwahl
Replied by hvwahl on topic Local mesh diameter
Hi Christoph,

tank you for your help! Your easier solution, has worked well. For 3d I can similarly use
Code:
h = [(3*vol)**(1/3) for vol in elvol]
or have I messed something up in the constant?

Best wishes,
henry
More
5 years 10 months ago #538 by cwinters
Hi,

for 3d it should be
Code:
h = [(6*vol)**(1/3) for vol in elvol]

Here you can find the volume of a simplex . The constant is actually the factorial of the spatial dimension.

Best
Christoph
More
5 years 10 months ago #539 by hvwahl
Replied by hvwahl on topic Local mesh diameter
Hi Christoph,

thanks! Strangely however, using the constant = 6, consistently gives me a max(h) which is larger than the h_max I used to mesh a cube (of side length 2) by a factor of 21/3 (i.e., constant =3). Do you have any idea why this would be the case?

Best wishes,
Henry
More
5 years 10 months ago #540 by cwinters
Hi Henry,

the maxh argument in GenerateMesh is not a strict upper bound.
Therefore the elements might be slightly larger than the defined maxh.

Best,
Christoph
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds