Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Loading geometry from command line

More
1 year 11 months ago #4356 by brittany-e
Hello there,
 I just installed Netgen on my MBP.  From the command line I can open it from command line with

netgen

If I'm in the folder containing the geometries, I can open one, e.g. File -> Load Geometry -> sculpture.geo

But I cannot do this from the command line using 

netgen sculpture.geo

(netgen opens but geometry does not load). 

At this point I have not added to my bash start up file the following: export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/Applications/Netgen.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/site-packages:.
export NETGENDIR=/Applications/Netgen.app/Contents/MacOS
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:$NETGENDIR
export DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=$DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH:$NETGENDIR/../Frameworks
export PATH=$NETGENDIR:$PATH

When I do, and I again call

netgen

I get the error below. Can you provide some advice on what to do?

dyld: Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/Python  Referenced from: /Applications/Netgen.app/Contents/MacOS/netgen  Reason: image not foundzsh: abort      netgen

ALSO: are you aware that this link is broken:  ngsolve.org/docu/latest/install/gettingstarted.html

although this one works:  docu.ngsolve.org/latest/install/gettingstarted.html

Thanks! 
More
1 year 11 months ago #4357 by matthiash
Hello!

How did you install Netgen? The behavior that "netgen sculpture.geo" is not showing a geometry indicates that you are using the "pip install netgen" method.
(Side note: We had to reimplement the netgen main file in python for the pip installers, and most features are still missing. In the .dmg installers the geometry should be loaded with this command).

The variables you set afterwards are only necessary, if you use the .dmg installer (not for the pip installer).

Could it be you tried both? In this case I would remove the .dmg installation (/Applications/Netgen.app) and the environment variables. The .dmg bundle needs python 3.8 (seems you have a different version installed, that's why it's not working.)

The broken link is fixed, thank's for the hint!

We will implement the geometry loading from command line, I will reply here when a new (nightly) version is available.

Best,
Matthias
More
1 year 11 months ago #4360 by matthiash
A new (prerelease) version is available on pip, you can get it with

pip install --pre ngsolve

Best,
Matthias
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds