Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Installation via PIP/rep in ubuntu

More
1 year 11 months ago #4348 by mischl
Dear all, first of all I want to apologize for the double-posting but the forum neither let's me edit nor delete my old post. 
Now to my problem. Hey there, I wanted to use NGSolve after some time for some simulations regarding Lange Nacht der Forschung (soon). Therefore I installed it, system is Ubuntu 20.04
I first used the ubuntu installer, I want to mention, that it showed me the following when I tried to add the rep

W: GPG-Fehler: ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/cran/bin/linux/ubuntu xenial/ InRelease: Die folgenden Signaturen konnten nicht überprüft werden, weil ihr öffentlicher Schlüssel nicht verfügbar ist: NO_PUBKEY 51716619E084DAB9

Within the installation, the following occured

Entpacken von ngsolve (6.2.2201-0~ubuntu20.04.1) ...
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten des Archivs /var/cache/apt/archives/ngsolve_6.2.2201-0~ubuntu20.04.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 Versuch, »/usr/bin/netgen« zu überschreiben, welches auch in Paket netgen 6.2.1804+dfsg1-3build2 ist
dpkg-deb: Fehler: »einfügen«-Unterprozess wurde durch Signal (Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)) getötet
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/ngsolve_6.2.2201-0~ubuntu20.04.1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

SOOO I was like "that's not good" and tried the installation via pip (which is installed)

(base) michael@michael-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-5th:~$ pip install ngsolve
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ngsolve (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for ngsolve

So no NGSOLVE for me. Anyone any clue what is wrong? 
More
1 year 11 months ago #4349 by matthiash
Hi,

sorry for the forum troubles, we are working on it.

Concerning your issues:
PPA: Seems you have an old version of netgen installed (not maintained by us). Remove that one and try to reinstall ngsolve (the ngsolve package also contains netgen, that's why you get the conflict error).

PIP: what's your output of
pip --version
pip - Packages are only available for python 3.8 to 3.10. Possibly "pip" is referring to python2, in this case you can try "pip3 install ngsolve"

Best,
Matthias

PS: In any case, make sure you have only one version of netgen/ngsolve installed globally (i.e. delete hat old netgen package, also when using pip)
More
1 year 11 months ago #4350 by mischl
Dear Matthias, thank you for your answer. Your guess with pip was correct, at least almost
However, it seems 3.7 is the current supported version for pip

(base) michael@michael-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-5th:~$ pip --version
pip 20.0.2 from /home/michael/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip (python 3.7)
(base) michael@michael-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-5th:~$ 
(base) michael@michael-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-5th:~$ sudo apt-get install python3-pip 
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.       
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
python3-pip ist schon die neueste Version (20.0.2-5ubuntu1.6).
0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 14 nicht aktualisiert.

So, I than tried the rep and did a remove first

(base) michael@michael-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-5th:~$ sudo apt-get remove netgen

It removed one packate, however it still aborts the installations
Thanks and greetings from Uni Wien
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds