Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Unexpected result for OCCGeometry shape subtraction

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #4301 by sindresb
Hello,

I have created a 3D spiral using OCCGeometry in much the same way as threads are created in the OCC bottle tutorial. The spiral itself looks fine when I visualize it. However, when I try to cut the spiral using shape subtraction (e.g. to make its edge serrated), I do not get the expected behaviour. Sometimes, I get a different shape than expected, but, most of the time, I get no shape at all. This happens even when visualizing the compound of the shapes used in the subtraction show that they have a non-empty intersection.

The simplest code I have been able to write that reproduces the problem can be found in this gist:
gist.github.com/blakseth2/8fafbb5125564335970bb09056921265
The first call to GeoDraw in this code produces an empty stage only.
The second call visualizes both the spiral and the box successfully.

The gist also includes my attempt at making a simpler example demonstrating the problem, where I cut a cylinder instead of a spiral. However, the cutting works just fine in that case.

Have I made some mistake that can explain the observed behaviour?

(Btw, I think maybe the "Check this box to be notified of replies to this topic."-box is not working, since I have not received any notifications from my earlier posts.)

Best,
Sindre

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds