Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

h1amg

More
2 years 2 months ago #4189 by rhebergens
h1amg was created by rhebergens
I saw here ngsolve.org/docu/nightly/i-tutorials/uni.../preconditioner.html that NGSolve has an algebraic multigrid method implemented. I implemented Poisson equation using H1 space with order 4, I set the preconditioner

c = Preconditioner(a, "h1amg")

and use the CG solver:

inv = CGSolver(a.mat, c.mat, maxsteps=100)

Sometimes the solver converges but the L2-error of the solution isn't great, and sometimes the solver doesn't converge. Here some output of when it doesn't converge:

H1AMG: level = 19, num_edges = 925, nv = 150
H1AMG: level = 20, num_edges = 905, nv = 147
H1AMG: level = 21, num_edges = 888, nv = 145
H1AMG: level = 22, num_edges = 878, nv = 144
0 nan

I have two questions:
1. Is c = Preconditioner(a, "h1amg") the correct way to set the h1amg preconditioner?
2. If I apply static condensation and apply h1amg I get a segmentation fault. Do I need to do something different for the h1amg preconditioner when I also apply static condensation?

When I apply geometric multigrid via c = Preconditioner(a, "multigrid") everything works perfectly (both with and without static condensation). Any insight is greatly appreciated.
More
2 years 2 months ago #4192 by Guosheng Fu
Replied by Guosheng Fu on topic h1amg
I think both h1amg and the geometric multigrid are implemented for the P1 only.

For higher order, you may either do p-version of bddc (with h1amg as a coarse grid solver) or auxilary space preconditioner.

docu.ngsolve.org/latest/i-tutorials/unit....html?highlight=bddc

docu.ngsolve.org/latest/i-tutorials/unit...basis/dualbasis.html
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds