Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

postprocessing of 3D hexahedral elements via the ngsolve.webgui

More
2 years 3 months ago #4134 by aNGie
Hi!

First of all, thanks for sharing this very nice FEM solver. I am a very beginner, just to mention. I would have three questions.

My first question regards to the postprocessing of 3D hexahedral (volume) elements via the ngsolve.webgui.
When creating the mesh via:
`mesh = MakeStructured3DMesh(hexes=False, nx=3, ny=3, nz=3)`
Plotting the solution via `Draw(gfu, mesh)` works fine.

But this is not the case, when using hexahedral meshes, i.e.:
`mesh = MakeStructured3DMesh(hexes=True, nx=3, ny=3, nz=3)`

Is there any possibility to plot the hexahedral mesh in the webgui? (At least, I could sucessfully export the results of the hexahedral mesh via VTKOutput and results are looking as expected.)

Please find the jupyter-notebook attached

File Attachment:

File Name: poisson-3D...em.ipynb
File Size:12 KB
(I am using version number v6.2.2102).

Second question (and maybe a stupid one): if the mesh is made out of hexahedral elements, ngsolve is really using hexahedral elements (interpolation functions of hex) in the background calculations and does not split the hexes to tets)?

Third question: when converting results to vtk format (via VTKOutput) is there any possibility to also add "deformation" information of the exported mesh, as possible in the webgui for, e.g., strucutral analyses?

Thank you very much!

Best regards
Marius
More
2 years 3 months ago #4135 by schruste
Hi Marius,

1. The webgui supports hexes and your jupyter notebook looks fine to me. You don't have a recent version on ngsolve! Try v6.2.2105.
2. Yes, if you have a hex mesh, the elements are treated as hexes (no subdivision).
3. To export the deformation, simply export the deformation :). Just add the deformation as a Coefficientfunction (e.g. a GridFunction) as an output field. Then your visualization tool can use that field for deformation again.

Best,
Christoph
The following user(s) said Thank You: aNGie
More
2 years 3 months ago #4136 by aNGie
Thanks for the quick reply on my questions! Ok with the current version it finally works also in the webgui - perfect!

Best regards
Marius
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds