Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

How to serialize BaseMatrix?

More
2 years 3 months ago #4125 by stf
Hi all,
NGSolve is a great tool, but I'm having trouble with some details.
I have set up a solver for my PDE, and calculated inverse of system matrix since I'm solving for many different "right-hand sides". Now, for bigger meshes, the calculation of the inverse takes some time and I wanted to store the calculated inverse. However, it seems it's not working like other ngs objects.

Here is the code:
Code:
ainv_filename = f'{self.results_dir}/A_inv.npz' if os.path.exists(ainv_filename) self.log(f'Loading inverse of stiffness matrix...') # Load A_inv self.a_inv.mat = np.load(ainv_filename) # First self.a_inv should be initialized? else: self.log(f'Calculating inverse of stiffness matrix...') self.a_inv = self.a.mat.Inverse(self.fes.FreeDofs()) np.savez_compressed(ainv_filename, self.a_inv.mat)

The calculation is working without issues:
Code:
# Compute the solution (using precalculated inverse of stifness matrix A) self.gfu.vec.data = self.a_inv * self.f.vec

To sum it up, how can I save BaseMatrix values to a file (NumPy or any other format)?

Thanks and I whish all of you a happy 2022!
More
2 years 3 months ago #4126 by joachim
Hi Stefan,

if you can use the in-house SparseCholesky (for symmetric positive definite matrices)
Code:
inv = mat.Inverse (inverse="sparsecholesky")

you have pickling support for it.

All the best for 2022 !

Joachim
More
2 years 3 months ago #4128 by stf
Replied by stf on topic How to serialize BaseMatrix?
Hi Joachim,
Thank you for replying so promptly!

I've tried this:
Code:
self.a_inv = self.a.mat.Inverse(self.fes.FreeDofs(), inverse="sparsecholesky") pickle.dump(self.a_inv, open("a_inv.p", "wb"))
but it seems pickling is not supported in my version of NGSolve:
Code:
TypeError: cannot pickle 'ngsolve.la.SparseCholesky_d' object

Is this a recently added feature? I've installed NGSolve via Anaconda:
Code:
>>> import ngsolve as ngs >>> ngs.__version__ '6.2.2008'
More
2 years 3 months ago #4129 by matthiash
Hi,

Yes, this feature was added with the latest release (6.2.2105). It is available on anaconda:
anaconda.org/NGSolve/ngsolve

Best,
Matthias
More
2 years 3 months ago #4131 by stf
Replied by stf on topic How to serialize BaseMatrix?
Hi Matthiash,
I've updated ngsolve to the latest and now I can pickle SparseCholesky objects.
However, this comes with an excessive memory consumption and script/program crashes (Calculating inverse is already at about 27 GB, and pickling consumes the remaining 5GB on this machine).

Is there a way or advice on how to do it "manually"?
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds