Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Linear constraints to couple dofs

More
2 years 4 months ago #4114 by bhaveshshrimali
Hi everyone,

Is there a documented example/test somewhere to demomonstrate coupling of degrees of freedom via linear (multi-point) constraints (similar to: abaqus-docs.mit.edu/2017/English/SIMACAE...ptopicmultipoint.htm )

I know that Netgen exports the .mpc file to Abaqus, and was wondering if it was possible to do the complete analysis in NGSolve itself.

Thanks,
Bhavesh
More
2 years 4 months ago #4115 by joachim
Hi Bhavesh,

we have several possibilities for various applications:

Constraints over identified boundaries, typically periodic boundaries with matching meshes.
We have Periodic spaces having same values at the left and right boundariy. If you use that constraint space for a Lagrange parameter, you can impose quiet general constraint equations (see attachment).

We are working currently on coupling between non-matching (surface)meshing, notebooks coming soon. This allows also coupling of different models, e.g. full 3D / simplified 2D.

Mean value constraints (e.g. for modeling joints in multi-body simulations) are possible by scalar Lagrange parameters (in NumberSpace)

Best,
Joachim
Attachments:
More
2 years 4 months ago #4116 by bhaveshshrimali
Hi Joachim,

Thanks so much for the comprehensive reply and the notebook. In fact, point # 1. is what I was looking for to start with. Eagerly looking forward to the tutorials in 2. and experimenting with 3.

Let me try with the approach in 1. to see how it goes.

Thanks again,
Bhavesh
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds