Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

spline segment refinement parameter ('maxh') not working?

More
2 years 9 months ago #3874 by place
i have made a generic wing shape using splines, it works as expected.

except....

the splines have an unreasonably small mesh division but when i alter the 'maxh' parameter on the 'AddSegment' call, it makes exactly no difference.

am i doing it right? any examples of altering mesh size on splines?

code for images. (many other cut-down/simplified things tried.)
Code:
from netgen.geom2d import SplineGeometry def AddSpline(spline,pts,**args): idxs=[geo.AppendPoint(*pnt) for pnt in pts] for i in range(0,len(idxs),2): spline.AddSegment([idxs[i],idxs[(i+1)%len(idxs)],idxs[(i+2)%len(pts)]],**args) return geo = SplineGeometry() geo.AddRectangle( (0, -2), (10, 2), bcs = ("top", "outlet", "bottom", "inlet")) pts=[(0.3,0),(1.1,0.02),(1.1,0),(1.1,-0.05),(0.6,-0.06),(0.2,-0.07),(0.2,-0.02),(0.2,0)] AddSpline(geo,[[pt[0],pt[1]+.25] for pt in pts],bc="obstruction",maxh=4.0,leftdomain=1, rightdomain=0) AddSpline(geo,[[pt[0],-pt[1]-.25] for pt in pts],bc="obstruction",maxh=4.0,leftdomain=0, rightdomain=1) # reflection so swap domains mesh = Mesh( geo.GenerateMesh(maxh=4.0))
More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #3876 by matthiash
Hello,

The local mesh size is also affected by the edge curvature. You can reduce this factor like this:
Code:
mesh = Mesh( geo.GenerateMesh(maxh=4.0, curvaturesafety=0.1))

But be aware that too large elements at strongly curved regions might lead to meshing failures or odd results after curving elements.

Best,
Matthias
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by matthiash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: place
More
2 years 9 months ago #3877 by place
thanks, that's a ~100x speedup. (~5x element count reduction) with the 0.1 value of 'curvaturesafety', with the result visually very similar, but i will check the effect it has on bulk stuff, lift/drag.

from what i can tell, and from its name, 'curvaturesafety' operates to 'switch on' extra refinement when/where some curve-edge fit error is above a threshold.

but...

this goes to explain the behaviour that 'maxh' has no effect if 'curvaturesafety' has already refined smaller, but only if is being applied first. i would have expected 'maxh' to be applied first then 'curvaturesafety' as a safety-net after, can these be applied the other way round? or am i misunderstand completely.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds