Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

VHeight does not make sense for BlockMatrix

More
2 years 10 months ago #3819 by ajf367
So i'm running some code to solve a quadratic eigenvalue problem but encountering an error when I run it.
Code:
import netgen.gui from netgen.geom2d import SplineGeometry from ngsolve import * import matplotlib.pyplot as plt import netgen.geom2d as geom2d from netgen.geom2d import unit_square import numpy as np geo = SplineGeometry() geo.AddCircle( (0.0, 0.0), r=1.0, leftdomain=0, rightdomain=1, bc = "scatterer") geo.AddCircle ( (0.0, 0.0), r=1.4, leftdomain=1, rightdomain=2) geo.AddCircle ( (0.0, 0.0), r=1.9, leftdomain=2, rightdomain=0) ngmesh = geo.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.02) mesh = Mesh(ngmesh) mesh.SetPML(pml.Radial(origin=(0.0,0.0), rad=1.4, alpha=1j), definedon=2) nn=2; fes = H1(mesh, order=4, complex=True, dirichlet="dir") u = fes.TrialFunction() v = fes.TestFunction() k = BilinearForm (fes, symmetric=True) k += -1*grad(u)*grad(v)*dx c = BilinearForm (fes, symmetric=True) c += 1j*u*v*ds("outerbnd") m = BilinearForm (fes, symmetric=True) m += (1+nn)*u*v*dx k.Assemble() c.Assemble() m.Assemble() I = IdentityMatrix(fes.ndof, complex=False) II = -1*I B1 = BlockMatrix([[m.mat, None], [None, I]]) B2 = BlockMatrix([[c.mat, k.mat], [II, None]]) u = GridFunction(fes, multidim=20, name='resonances') with TaskManager(): lam = ArnoldiSolver(B2, B1, fes.FreeDofs(), u.vecs, shift=2) Draw(u)
This gives the error message
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- NgException Traceback (most recent call last) <ipython-input-16-af6cb1fe1cdb> in <module> 42 u = GridFunction(fes, multidim=20, name='resonances') 43 with TaskManager(): ---> 44 lam = ArnoldiSolver(B2, B1, fes.FreeDofs(), u.vecs, shift=2) 45 Draw(u) 46 NgException: VHeight does not make sense for BlockMatrix

Does anyone know how to resolve this error?
More
2 years 9 months ago #3857 by ddrake
Hi,

It might be better to make I and II complex, since m.mat, k.mat, c.mat and u.vecs are complex, but I don't think the issue is with your code -- just that some of the lower level functionality hasn't been fully implemented yet for the complex case.

The error "VHeight does not make sense for BlockMatrix" occurs in the Python bindings for ArnoldiSolver where the height of the first matrix is checked. Height() maps to Vheight() in basematrix.hpp but is not implemented by BlockMatrix and gives the message in specialmatrix.hpp .

Just to see what would happen, I commented out that Height test to allow the code to proceed. I then got an error in basevector.cpp . There's a comment indicating the implementation of BlockVector is not complete for complex components.

Best,
Dow
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds