Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Install NGSolve from the source on Windows Subsystem for Linux

More
2 years 10 months ago #3807 by braket
Hi,

I am trying to install NGSolve on Windows Subsystem for Linux ( WSL ). I have strictly followed the guide to build from the source onto Debian/ Ubuntu on WSL with using a Debian/Ubuntu terminal on Windows 10. However, I am not able to run any python script in the python_tutorial file after the NGSolve is successfully installed. The message always shows up "Segmentation fault". For a detailed example, it shows:
Code:
NETGEN-6.2.2103-30-g44d72073 Developed by Joachim Schoeberl at 2010-xxxx Vienna University of Technology 2006-2010 RWTH Aachen University 1996-2006 Johannes Kepler University Linz Problem in Tk_Init: result = no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable optfile ./ng.opt does not exist - using default values togl-version : 2 no OpenGL loading ngsolve library NGSolve-6.2.2103-23-g27f2b0149 Using Lapack Including sparse direct solver UMFPACK Running parallel using 8 thread(s) importing NGSolve-6.2.2103-23-g27f2b0149 (should) load python file 'mesh.py' loading ngsolve library NGSolve-6.2.2103-23-g27f2b0149 Using Lapack Including sparse direct solver UMFPACK Running parallel using 8 thread(s) Segmentation fault

I have checked that my python version is 3.7.3 in the Debian/Ubuntu on WSL terminal environment. On the other hand, everything works well with the Windows installer on my Windows 10 laptop. So I am wondering if NGSolve does not support to be built from the source on WSL environment yet. Does anyone have experience in working with WSL and how to solve the problem?
More
2 years 10 months ago #3842 by place
Possibly of interest;

i'm doing something similar, using same version of Ubuntu libs, setting up on an unsupported Linux disto.

initially i got this....

Problem in Tk_Init:
result = unknown color name "BACKGROUND"
togl-version : 2
no OpenGL

fixed by searching for TK issues and found this fix...

xrdb -load /dev/null
xrdb -query

not sure why and isn't the same for you, but maybe same technique will work.
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds