Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

I-tutorial 1.7.1 merging problems

More
2 years 11 months ago #3785 by furi367
I'm interested in calculating resonance values using PML for scattering equations. In a basic case I consider the unit circle and assume a constant valued scatterer n. My goal is to verify a resonance value that I calculated by hand before modifying the code for more interesting shapes and scatterers. The equation of interest is given by:
[tex]\Delta u + (1+n)\omega^2 u =0[/tex]
with Sommerfeld radiation condition
[tex]\lim_{r \to \infty} r^{1/2}
\bigg(
\frac{\partial u }{ \partial r} - i \omega u
\bigg) = 0[/tex]

to calculate the resonance values I can modify the code in the tutorial to add the unit circle along with defining a PML region. The problem I'm having is that with the radiation condition I have a boundary term in the weak formulation. This is seen in the line of code from 1.7.1 tutorial by
Code:
a = BilinearForm(fes) a += grad(u)*grad(v)*dx - omega**2*u*v*dx a += -1j*omega*u*v*ds("outerbnd")

The issue is that the example to calculate resonances does not have this boundary term. Ideally I'm trying to solve the following integral equation for [tex]\lambda = \omega^2[/tex] but I do not believe the Arnoldi solver will suffice:

[tex]\int_\Omega\big[ \nabla u \cdot \nabla \bar v \big]
\, dx -
i \,\omega\, \int_{\partial \Omega} u \bar v \, ds = \int_{\Omega} \omega^2 u \bar v[/tex]

Could anyone provide some insight as to how I would solve this problem?
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds