Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

run netgen in parallel in python

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #3730 by gen
First, I like to thank those who made Netgen available to the public. I tried many other meshing softwares, and Netgen is the only one that works perfectly for my applications. Great work!

While Netgen works well, I like to explore its parallel meshing, as currently it takes about 300s to mesh my object (from stl file). My system is Win10, 4-core I7, and I installed Netgen GUI. In the meshing options, the 'parallel" is checked. In my work I actually use Anaconda/Spyder. The following code with `ngcore.TaskManager()' works fine, but the time it costs is not much different from the regular code without `ngcore.TaskManager()'. I was wondering if I am doing it correctly?

I tried running is Spyder, and also on command line by `python test.py`. The results are the same. I have zero knowledge of parallel computing, and would appreciate your insights!
Code:
import netgen.stl as stl from netgen.meshing import MeshingStep, MeshingParameters, meshsize, FaceDescriptor from ngsolve import ngsglobals import pyngcore as ngcore #netgen parallel, optional import time ngsglobals.msg_level = 2 geo = stl.STLGeometry("test.stl") start_time = time.time() ngcore.SetNumThreads(4) with ngcore.TaskManager(): # I also tried without this ngcore, the results are the same mesh = geo.GenerateMesh(meshsize.very_coarse, perfstepsstart=MeshingStep.ANALYSE, perfstepsend=MeshingStep.MESHVOLUME, curvaturesafety=5) end_time= time.time() print("time cost for meshing: {}s".format(end_time - start_time))
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by gen.
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds