Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

DG in time with a slab solver

More
2 years 11 months ago #3710 by Guosheng Fu
Hello,

I am exploring DG time solvers. In particular, I have a simple diffusion equation
u_t - u_xx=0.
I want to use CG to discretize in space and upwinding DG in time. I think the TensorProductFespace is designed for such problem, but I failed to produce a working code. (the tutorial examples in tensorproducts are all explicit DG...)

Mathematically, we shall be able to solve the linear systems in time slabs, I don't know whether this would be possible to realize in the current TensorProductFEspace. Can you help me with this? Many thanks!

Best,
Guosheng
More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #3711 by schruste
As far as I know the TensorProductFESpace is not directly made for this.
In ngsxfem we have TensorProduct Space-Time spaces (also fitted), see e.g. here:
github.com/ngsxfem/ngsxfem/blob/release/...pacetimeDG_fitted.py

You can try it out without installation through binder here:
mybinder.org/v2/gh/ngsxfem/ngsxfem-jupyt...acetime_fitted.ipynb

Best,
Christoph
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by schruste.
More
2 years 11 months ago #3712 by Guosheng Fu
Thanks for the examples.
More
2 years 11 months ago #3715 by Guosheng Fu
Hi Christoph,

Your spacetime framework is exactly what I am looking for. I have an additional question: I want to test ideas in 1D first as my model is a bit complicated. But your framework seems only support dimension d>=2. Is there a easy way around?

I am thinking of directing work on a tensor-product quad slab domain, but some of the finite elements seems missing: I need two nonstandard fe spaces: Pk-in-x direction and P-0 in y-direction (time), also Pk-in-x direction and P-k-1 in y-direction.
Are these spaces already available in ngsolve core?

Best,
Guosheng
More
2 years 11 months ago #3717 by schruste
Hi Guosheng,

I just added 1D, at least for the scope of the examples that I've send you. You just need to update ngsxfem (master-branch). With that a script as attached works:

File Attachment:

File Name: 1d.py
File Size:3 KB

Best,
Christoph
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds