Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

How is the L2 Qk element basis ranked? Is there a law about its ranking?

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #3664 by Younghigh
Hi all,

In DG methods over quadrilateral meshes, we tend to use L2 Qk element, like L2 Q1 basis is

{1, x, x*y, y},

L2 Q2 basis is

{1, x, x*y, x*y**2, x**2, x**2*y, x**2*y**2, y, y**2},

We want to know the ranking of L2 Qk element basis in NGSolve, especially for high number k.

Best,
Di Yang
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #3666 by mneunteufel
Hi Di Yang,

Q_k is a tensor product, Q_k = P_k(x) x P_k(y), and as dim(P_k) = k+1there holds dim(Q_k) = (k+1)^2.

Best
Michael
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #3667 by Younghigh
Thank u. I mean the ranking of degree of freedom in L2 Qk element basis, like Q1,
the order is 1, x, xy, y, but I have no idea about high k.
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #3668 by mneunteufel
In fem/l2hofe_impl.hpp in function L2HighOrderFE_Shape<ET_QUAD> ::T_CalcShape about line 430 the code for the computation of the quad basis reads
Code:
LegendrePolynomial (p, xi, polx); LegendrePolynomial (q, eta, poly); for (size_t i = 0, ii = 0; i <= p; i++) for (size_t j = 0; j <= q; j++) shape[ii++] = polx[i] * poly[j];
The following user(s) said Thank You: Younghigh
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds