Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

How can I use Q2-P1dc element pair in a quadrilateral mesh to solve Stokes?

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #3650 by Younghigh
Hi, all

In NGSolve, it provides Pk element w.r.t. a triangulation, or Qk element w.r.t. a quadrilateral mesh. To solve Stokes equation, we try to use Q2-P1dc in a quadrilateral mesh. Is there a method in NGSolve to set P1dc element space for pressure in a quadrilateral mesh?

Best,
Di Yang
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #3651 by Guosheng Fu
Hi Di Yang,

You can hack the Q1 L2 space by removing the bilinear parts. Below is a working example.

Best,
Guosheng
Attachments:
More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #3652 by Younghigh
Thank u very much. By the way, does NGSolve provide high order BDFM element directly? If not, how can I design it just in NGSolve instead of using other platforms?

The BDFM element is a reduced element from BDM element. Because I have no idea how BDM is designed in the core of NGSolve developing, how to obtain BDFM elements in quadrilateral meshes is still an open issue for me.
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Younghigh.
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #3653 by Guosheng Fu
I think you can hack a vectorQk+1 space to get a DG version of the BDFMk space on quads (no hdiv-conformity), just removing unwanted high order DOFs.

You can take a look at this thesis for the construction of basis function in ngsolve
www.numa.uni-linz.ac.at/Teaching/PhD/Finished/zaglmayr

All the finite elements are in the source file
github.com/NGSolve/ngsolve/tree/master/fem
The following user(s) said Thank You: Younghigh
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #3662 by Younghigh
How is the Qk element L2basis ranked? Is there a law about its ranking?
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #3679 by Younghigh
Thank u for my coding. But I am still confused how to hack a vector Q{k+1} space to get a DG version of the BDFMk space on quads. The scalar Qk+1 space is easy to implement but for a vector space, what is the structure of its basis?

(Q1)^2=span{(1,0), (x,0), (y,0), (x*y,0), (0,1), (0,x), (0,y), (0,x*y)},
please tell me how to hack it in the codes to get DG version of BDFM1 space. Note that dim(BDFM1)=4 by the way.
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds