Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Direct preconditioners

More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #3593 by philipp
Dear NGSolve community,

up until now, I have been preconditioning my iterative solvers mainly with
BDDC and Block GS methods and wonder, whether there is an ILU directly available in NGSolve.
(I know, I could possibly use PETSc for this.)
I have read about the "direct preconditioner" in your tutorial, but reading the C++ code I cannot
see that, e.g., PARDISO is configured differently as preconditioner than being employed as
direct solver.
Did I miss something or means using a "direct preconditioner" that a direct solver is employed and
I refine the result afterwards with an iterative method, or are the direct solvers providing an ILU?

Best regards,
Philipp
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by philipp.
More
3 years 5 days ago #3604 by lkogler
Replied by lkogler on topic Direct preconditioners
Hi Philipp,

There is no ILU directly in NGSolve. As you said, your best option is probably to use PETSc.

The "direct preconditioner" is the exact inverse, it is just packaged into a "preconditioner" so you can switch between direct solvers and preconditioners
easily.

Best, Lukas
The following user(s) said Thank You: philipp
More
3 years 5 days ago #3605 by philipp
Replied by philipp on topic Direct preconditioners
Thanks for the clarification!

Best,
Philipp
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds