Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

VTK file for visualisation in paraview

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #3582 by Joe
Hello,

I would like to write out the gradient of H1 conforming function to a VTK file for visualisation in paraview.
Code:
from netgen import gui from ngsolve import * from ngsolve import atan2 from ngsolve import sin from ngsolve import cos from netgen.geom2d import SplineGeometry geo = SplineGeometry() geo.AddRectangle( (-3, -3), (3, 3), bc = 'wall') geo.AddCircle ( (0, 0), r=0.75, leftdomain=0, rightdomain=1, bc='cyl') mesh = Mesh( geo.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.2)) mesh.Curve(3); Draw(mesh) V = H1(mesh, order=2, dirichlet='wall|cyl') gfu = GridFunction(V) u = V.TrialFunction() w = V.TestFunction() f = LinearForm(V) f += 0 * w * dx R=0.75 uinf = 1 exact = CoefficientFunction(uinf*(y-(R**(2)*y)/(x**(2)+y**(2)))) gexact = CoefficientFunction( ( (uinf*((2*R**(2)*x*y)/(x**(2)+y**(2))**2)), (uinf*(1-(R**(2)*(x**(2)-y**(2))/(x**(2)+y**(2))**2))) ) ) gfu = GridFunction(V) gfu.Set(exact, definedon=mesh.Boundaries('wall|cyl')) a = BilinearForm(V, symmetric=True) a += grad(u)*grad(w)*dx #c = Preconditioner(a, "local") c = Preconditioner(a, "direct") a.Assemble() f.Assemble() # the solution field BVP=BVP(bf=a,lf=f,gf=gfu, pre=c).Do() ndof = V.ndof print(ndof) Draw (gfu) den1=sqrt(Integrate(InnerProduct(exact,exact), mesh)) print ("L2-error:", sqrt(Integrate((gfu-exact)**2, mesh))/den1) den2=sqrt(Integrate(InnerProduct(exact,exact)+InnerProduct(gexact,gexact), mesh)) print ("H1-error:", sqrt(Integrate((gfu-exact)**2+InnerProduct(grad(gfu)-gexact,grad(gfu)-gexact), mesh))/den2) vtk = VTKOutput(ma=mesh,coefs=[gfu], names=["sol"], filename="vtk_example3", subdivision=3) vtk.Do() vtk = VTKOutput(ma=mesh,coefs=[gfu,grad(gfu)],names=["sol","gradsol"],filename="vtk_example4",subdivision=3) vtk.Do()

Thank you for any help.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Joe.
More
3 years 1 month ago #3583 by schruste
Dear Joe,

Well done :). Where the problem?

Best,
Christoph
More
3 years 1 month ago #3584 by Joe
Hi Christoph,

Sorry, I should have explained my issue is with the glyphs in paraview as the output is incorrect for when I try to do a quiver plot. Is this because it can’t handle the export of grad(gridfun) to vtk where gridfun is a H^1 grid function?
More
3 years 1 month ago #3585 by christopher
Not 100% sure this is the problem here, but I think paraview wants vectors to be 3 dimensional. If you export CF((grad(gridfun)[0], grad(gridfun)[1], 0)) do you get what you want?
The following user(s) said Thank You: schruste
More
3 years 1 month ago #3586 by Joe
Sorry for the late reply.

I think this fixed my issue. Thank you very much
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds