Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

stl file contains multiple parts / individual material parameters needed

More
3 years 1 month ago #3578 by user85
Hello guys,

I have a stl file which contains 4 parts (see "test.stl" in the attachments).

File Attachment:

File Name: test_2021-03-11.stl
File Size:141 KB

As a first step I import this file and create a ngsolve mesh. Now I can print the following information:

print("materials = ", mesh.GetMaterials()):
materials = ('default',)

print("boundaries = ", mesh.GetBoundaries()):
boundaries = ('default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default', 'default')

As you can see I get all 24 boundaries but only one material. How to define different material parameters for the individual parts?

Thank you for your help!

Best,
Max
More
3 years 1 month ago #3579 by christopher
You could do this in a postprocessing step: Iterate over the elements and decide by some criterion to change the element index. Then name the materials. Something like this should work:
Code:
for el in mesh.Elements3D(): if mesh[el.points[0]] < 0: el.index = 2 mesh.SetMaterial(2, "new_mat_name")
More
3 years 1 month ago #3581 by user85
Thank you very much for your helpful answer.

Here is my solution:
Code:
th = -700 # threshold for el in mesh.Elements3D(): if mesh[el.points[0]][0] < th: # I compare the x-coordinate with the threshold el.index = 2 mesh.SetMaterial(2, "mat2")

Best,
Max
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds