Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Specifying inconsisten initial and boundary conditions

• mcmcclur
  • Professor of Mathematics at UNC - Asheville
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #3505 by mcmcclur
I'd like to solve heat problems with inhomogeneous Dirichlet conditions and a non-zero initial condition that need not be consistent with the boundary conditions.

As a simple example, we might have a square whose initial temperature distribution is given by u(x,y,0)=1-x^2. At time zero, the bottom is set to temp 0 and the top is set to temp 1 while the sides are insulated. How can I model this problem?

Following the Parabolic Model tutorial , I see that I can use syntax such as
Code:
gfu = GridFunction(fes) gfu.Set(1-x**2)

to specify the initial condition and then iteratively redefine gfu via an implicit Euler method that respects any stated Dirichlet conditions. I'm also aware that I can specify specify inhomogendous Dirichlet conditions via code like
Code:
gfu.Set(values_list, definedon=mesh.Boundaries(dirichlet_boundaries))

where dirichlet_boundaries is a regular expression specifying the boundaries and values_lists contains the values.

I can't seem to find a way to accomplish both of these however. Perhaps there's a way to set gfu to values_list on the boundary but 1-x**2 in the interior? Or, perhaps there's another way to accomplish this?

My code to this point (which is mostly based on the parabolic tutorial) is below:
Code:
from netgen import gui from math import pi from ngsolve import * from netgen.geom2d import SplineGeometry time = 0.0 dt = 0.001 tstep = 4 geo = SplineGeometry() geo.AddRectangle( (-1, -1), (1, 1), bcs = ("bottom", "right", "top", "left")) mesh = Mesh( geo.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.1)) fes = H1(mesh, order=3, dirichlet="bottom|top") gfu = GridFunction(fes) ## This simple block for a single initial condition #gfu.Set(1-x**2) ## This block for inhomogenous boundary conditions boundary_conditions = {'bottom':'0', 'top':'1'} dirichlet_boundaries = '|'.join(boundary_conditions.keys()) for k in boundary_conditions.keys(): boundary_conditions[k] = eval(boundary_conditions[k]) values_list = [ boundary_conditions[bc] if bc in boundary_conditions.keys() else 0 for bc in mesh.GetBoundaries() ] gfu.Set(values_list, definedon=mesh.Boundaries(dirichlet_boundaries)) res = gfu.vec.CreateVector() Draw(gfu,mesh,"init") u,v = fes.TnT() a = BilinearForm(fes, symmetric=False) a += 0.5*grad(u)*grad(v)*dx a.Assemble() m = BilinearForm(fes, symmetric=False) m += u*v*dx m.Assemble() mstar = m.mat.CreateMatrix() mstar.AsVector().data = m.mat.AsVector() + dt * a.mat.AsVector() invmstar = mstar.Inverse(freedofs=fes.FreeDofs())

Then,
Code:
%%time t_intermediate=0 # time counter within one block-run while t_intermediate < tstep - 0.5 * dt: res.data = - dt * a.mat * gfu.vec gfu.vec.data += invmstar * res t_intermediate += dt print("\r",time+t_intermediate,end="") Redraw(blocking=True) print("") time+=t_intermediate
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by mcmcclur.
More
3 years 2 months ago #3507 by hvwahl
Hi,

Set zeros-out the GridFunction where nothing is set, i.e., when only setting on a boundary. The way to get around this ist to use two GridFunctions, Set one to the boundary condition and one to the initial condition. You can then loop over the interior/free degrees of freedoms and copy the initial values into the GridFunction with the correct boundary condition:
Code:
gfu, gfu_int = GridFunction(fes), GridFunction(fes) gfu.Set(values_list, definedon=mesh.Boundaries(dirichlet_boundaries)) gfu_int.Set(1-x**2) free_dofs = fes.FreeDofs() for dof in range(fes.ndof): if free_dofs[dof]: gfu.vec.data[dof] = gfu_int.vec[dof]

Best wishes,
Henry
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcmcclur
  • mcmcclur
  • Professor of Mathematics at UNC - Asheville
More
3 years 2 months ago #3508 by mcmcclur
This works perfectly, Henry - Thank you very much!
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds