Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Non-stationary Stokes on closed surfaces

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #3491 by Bittermandeln
Hi dear readers,

I have made a solver for non-stationary (generalized) Stokes on surfaces. I also have a solver for stationary Stokes on surfaces. These are both based on Lehrenfeld/Lederer/Schöberl 2020.

My problem concerns solving the non-stationary on a sphere. My stationary solver works fine. From a solution (u,p) for the stationary Stokes with right-hand side "force" and div(u) = g. I have constructed a non-stationary solution (U,P) to non-stationary stokes with right-hand side (Force, G) by setting

U = w(t) * u
P = w(t) * p
Force = w(t) * force + w_t(t) * u
G = w(t)*g.

However, my solution explodes, even if I set w(t) = 1, w_t(t) = 0. Note that it works fine, and converges, for open surfaces (with Dirichlet boundary conditions).

For clarity, the time-stepping is performed with Implicit Euler, and the mixed space is a Piola-transformed BDM_k, P^{dc}_{k-1}. I also have a Lagrange-multiplier for uniqueness of p. (Also I do Hybridized Hdiv).

Qualitatively, my solution is continuously perturbed for a few time-steps to what looks like another smooth solution. After that, it just increases in magnitude. The factor with which it increases in each step seems to be independent of time-step size. It almost seems like there is another constant (in time) term on the right-hand side, independent of time-step size.

Does anyone know why this problem arises? Is there something about non-stationary stokes on closed surfaces which is ill-posed?

I would be very grateful for any insight :)

Best regards,

Alvar
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Bittermandeln.
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #3492 by Bittermandeln
Update:
It turns out that since when there are no BC I do not need to homogenize, I forgot to reset the new solution. This has the "explody" nature a bit. For this discussion I have w(t) = 1, w_t(t) = 0.
For dt<= 2.e-9 the system seems to be stable, i.e. it only changes mariginally in time. However, for dt>= 3.e-9 it seems to increase steadily, and at e.g. 1.e-5 we are at full "explosion" territory.

It also explodes less when I remove the Lagrange-multiplier for p.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Bittermandeln.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds