Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Merge 3D Meshes

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #3437 by NV
Merge 3D Meshes was created by NV
Hello everybody,
I would like to merge several 3D Meshes created by netgen, based on multiple step files.
Using mesh.save('meshname'), I have stored a mesh file ('meshname.vol.gz') for each single body. Within the netgen GUI I am able to merge these meshes (File->Merge Mesh) and then export them to a single mesh. Is there the opportunity to merge these meshes by a python command? I couldn't find anything in the documentation and I have seen that a couple of forum members ask for similar questions, but these discussions didn't helped me.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by NV.
More
More
3 years 3 months ago #3441 by NV
Replied by NV on topic Merge 3D Meshes
Hi Christopher,
thank you for your reply and merry christmas to everybody.
I followed you advise and tried to merge the meshes as described in the tutorial. Unfortunately it does not do the job in my case. My 3D Geometries are partially intersecting each other, which leads to the error:
NgException: Stop meshing since boundary mesh is overlapping

The final goal is to calculate contact forces of a priori intersecting geometries. Therefore I need two separated meshes such that I can start thinking about how to implement the contact.
I have attached a minimal working example, which leads to the upper mentioned and hopefully is meaningful enough in order to describe the problem.

I appreciate any tips or recommendation,
best regards
More
3 years 3 months ago #3443 by christopher
Replied by christopher on topic Merge 3D Meshes
Hi, for what you want to do you don't have to create separate meshes. You can put the 2 geometry parts in different layers, then they will be meshed separately and this results in overlapping meshes (think this is what you want). See attached file.

Best
Christopher
The following user(s) said Thank You: NV
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #3454 by NV
Replied by NV on topic Merge 3D Meshes
Thank you Christopher, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a similar layer structure loading a step file via LoadOCCGeometry? The step file could either be an assembly or multiple step files containing a single geometry.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by NV.
More
3 years 3 months ago #3455 by christopher
Replied by christopher on topic Merge 3D Meshes
Don't think this is working right now, but it may be only a few lines of code. Could you provide a simple overlapping assembly you want to mesh?
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds