Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Cannot mesh geometry with free face

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #3419 by vgeza
I ran into a problem meshing geometry where a thin volume is replaced with a face. This might save a lot of computation efforts, but it seems that netgen fails to mesh such geometries.

I am using OCCgeometry. The used BREP file is attached.

Attachment not found

[attachment=undefined]preview.jpg[/attachment]

When using netgen/ngsolve interface, meshing fails with errors
Code:
GIVING UP retry Surface 21 Face 21 / 21 (plane space projection) meshed area = 0.0200098 maximal area = 0.02 GIVING UP ERROR: Problem in Surface mesh generation WARNING! NOT ALL FACES HAVE BEEN MESHED SURFACE MESHING ERROR OCCURRED IN 1 FACES: Face 21

I also tried meshing manually - first meshing with nglib all the faces, then merging them into volume and meshing volume. Such an approach works for other geometries, but not for this one. Error is "Stop meshing since surface mesh not consistent".

Is there a way or strategy to mesh such geometries?
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by vgeza. Reason: missing attachments
More
3 years 4 months ago #3420 by vgeza
Apparently attachments are missing. Adding here

File Attachment:

File Name: test_free_...7-3.brep
File Size:20 KB
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds