Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Bisect does not use marked elements when used through nglib

More
3 years 4 months ago #3389 by vgeza
Hi,

I am using slightly modified nglib interface for meshing. However, remeshing does not work as expected.

First I mark elements I need to be refined by passing true or false to function:
Code:
mesh->VolumeElement(el_index).SetRefinementFlag(flag)

then I use Bisect:
Code:
BisectionOptions bo; bo.usemarkedelements = 1; bo.refine_p = 1; mesh->GetGeometry()->GetRefinement().Bisect(*mesh, bo); me->UpdateTopology();

The result is that nothing gets refined. I suspect that function Bisect works only with refinfofile is passed, otherwise, all marked elements are reset. Is there a way to bisect marked elements without passing the file?
Thank you!
More
3 years 4 months ago #3395 by christopher
Hi, I think the refinement flag only works with the geometry.GetRefinement().Refine method. Can you use this instead of the bisect? Afaik the bisect is legacy code and not currently used in Netgen/NGSolve.
Best
Christopher
More
3 years 4 months ago #3411 by vgeza
I tried using Refine, but it refines all elements.

I also followed through with the logic used for refinement. SetRefinementFlag sets the state of refflag. Then I followed the track of this variable (refflag), and it seems that it is only returned by function TestRefinementFlag(). Again, searching the whole source directory, I realized that this function is called only in Bisect() (and in some visualization functions), and not in Refine().

I also tried to follow through with the huge Refine() function, and I do not see any kind of checks for elements being marked for refinement.
What am I missing?
More
3 years 4 months ago #3412 by christopher
Ah yes sorry, I was wrong. Bisect is actually the one used when called on a ngsolve mesh. For me this works:
Code:
#include <meshing.hpp> using namespace netgen; int main() { auto mesh = make_shared<Mesh>(); mesh->Load("cube.vol.gz"); for(auto& el : mesh->VolumeElements()) el.SetRefinementFlag(false); for(auto& el : mesh->SurfaceElements()) el.SetRefinementFlag(false); cout << "mesh ne = " << mesh->GetNE() << endl; mesh->VolumeElements()[0].SetRefinementFlag(true); BisectionOptions bo; bo.usemarkedelements = 1; mesh->GetGeometry()->GetRefinement().Bisect(*mesh, bo); mesh->UpdateTopology(); mesh->Save("refined.vol.gz"); cout << "mesh ne = " << mesh->GetNE() << endl; return 0; }
More
3 years 4 months ago #3418 by vgeza
Thank you, this works! The problem turned out to be that I used the refine_p method which, if I understand correctly, just increases the order of elements.
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds