Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Removing seam in cylindrical surface

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #3299 by Dymtra
Hi Everyone,

First time posting here. I'm trying to mesh a cylinder with two square faces on its curved face.

My starting point is a step model exported from Fusion 360. The problem I'm facing is that the file imported comes with a seam (I've attached a picture).

When I model it in Fusion there is no seam, as the cylinder is extruded. I have tried exporting the file as iges but still the seam is present (I've attached some pictures). I also tried using FreeCad and I have the same issue.

The problem is when meshing the face close to the seam is quite different to the one on the opposite side.

I tried using Netgen's mesh doctor to remove the seam once meshed and while I can remove the edge of the seam, I'm not sure how to tell Netgen to remesh without it.

Is there a way to remove it or make Netgen ignore it when meshing?

Thanks!
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Dymtra. Reason: Added pictures
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds